House Ads in the official Ad Plugin

It would be more amazing if we can put an email of the advertiser with the specific banner or link and to send him weekly or monthly reports for the performance, like views and clicks.

1 Like

I’m guessing that’s a bit outside the simple solution this is meant to provide. Sounds like you want a full-fledged advertising solution.

However, having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised if those metrics are actually tracked in the DB, and perhaps you could pull them out with Data Explorer and process them into emails outside of Discourse.

5 Likes

We are trying to pull ads from our rails server where we already have a custom ad server built, but unfortunately there is no easy way to do this without having desktop / mobile versions of the ad slots available. We would be tracking the ad serve / impression on the rails side so need to know which ad we’re displaying on the rails side (can’t rely on media queries on discourse side). We’re trying to avoid hacking the ember code … does anyone have any ideas?

1 Like

Hello Abram,

Is your ad server open source ? We are looking into similar implementation too.

Thanks

1 Like

No it isn’t, and it’s extremely basic… We just load up images for particular slots on our site based on an advertiser model with nested advertisements, where each advertisement has a type (string) like “Large Rectangle” that we can request from the slot. All our ads are sponsored so we have been able to keep things simple and do reporting with ahoy.

2 Likes

Great. I am planning to use revive ad server https://www.revive-adserver.net/

3 Likes

Dear Neil,

Any way we can change the sequence of the ads ?
The ads show under the first posts mandatory then we can change the number of after how many posts.
for example quora, the system shows ads after each first post then after 4 or 5 posts you see another ad banner.

Can we achieve this and how ?

2 Likes

There’s no way to do this currently with the ad plugin. It has been requested before, so maybe a checkbox setting to show an ad after the first post and then every N posts after that would make sense.

11 Likes

Why doesn’t the usual src javascript code work as house ad? Even adding content security policy does not help. What causes this problem ?

2 Likes

Am I correct that the official ad plugin no longer offers the ‘House Ads’ option described?

Having installed the plugin, the settings available include additional ad source options not described in the GitHub installation instructions, but seems to now omit the option to make own ads.

1 Like

It’s on the plugins tab.

5 Likes

Thank you! I seem to be very low down on the learning curve…

2 Likes

It took me a while to find it too! It’s because it needs to have room for the interface to create the ads…

3 Likes

Any news on this? It’s been a while, but can’t seem to find an option for categories. Is this plugin still being maintained?

1 Like

It’s an official plugin. It is maintained.

I solved the outer category problem by creating the ads with per category css tags and then his them from all categories except the one where it is desired. It’s a bit fiddly but it works.

8 Likes

That’s ghetto, but brilliant :slight_smile: would love to see an official per-category one, though. Some areas could be “premium” or some ads could have different types of targets per-category that would be more intuitive/relevant.

3 Likes

Can you explain your solution with an example? What html/css code did you use?

1 Like

Ok, here is a solution if you want to show your House Ads only within specific categories.

Add this code to the CSS settings of your theme:

.house-creative.house-post-bottom a.between-posts-ad {
     display: none;  
     }
     .category-_______ .house-creative.house-post-bottom a.between-posts-ad {
     display: block; 
     }

here .category-_______ add your category slug (you can find it in the category setting)

8 Likes

On my forums I run ads:

• every n posts
  • at the bottom of the topic.

For topics that have a multiple of n posts, the ad is shown twice at the bottom of the topic, which looks a bit odd.

Would be nice if the plugin could avoid this?

2 Likes

interesting question

2 Likes