How Do I modify the Label Text of a Reply Button

I want to modify the text of the “submit” button that is displayed beneath the message composer.

When the user hits “Reply” to a post the “submit” button beneath the composer is labelled “Reply”. I’d like to modify this but there are more than 50 text objects that include the word “reply.” Which text label do I modify?

1 Like

That label can be modified via Admin → Customize Text → js.composer.reply

/admin/customize/site_texts/js.composer.reply

4 Likes

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I’ve made the change to that text label but the buttons haven’t changed. Is there something else I need to do to apply this change?

1 Like

If we are talking about the same button - then just Save Changes and a reload of the page where you have the composer will do:

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 2.50.35 PM

1 Like

That’s the button I’m talking about.

The text doesn’t want to budge :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

There are two different translation keys used for the reply button. js.composer.reply is used for the reply button that you see when you open the composer. js.topic.reply.title is used for the reply button is displayed in the topic (the button that you click to open the composer.)

I have not memorized these translation keys. The way I found them was by entering I18n.enableVerboseLocalizationSession() into the console of my browser’s web inspector. After doing that, a number key will be added to all text items on Discourse that can be customized. You can use that number to find the correct translation key. That approach is outlined here: Find a translation key with verbose localization.

On the latest Chrome browser, the translation key names are displayed in the web inspector’s ‘info’ tab.

4 Likes

Wow! That’s a great tip.

thanks

1 Like

The changes I made have finally appeared. I didn’t do anything extra. I guess that I didn’t do enough to clear/refresh the caches.

2 Likes