How do I set up Discourse with Mail Jet?

Hello, I am currently new to setting up Discourse and I have a server ready for Discourse, however, I still need an SMTP server. I currently have an account with Mail Jet, but I do not know how to configure it for Discourse. I have added my domain and configured its records with Mail Jet. If somebody could help me with this, that would be great, thanks.

1 Like

Check out Mailjet’s documentation here:

2 Likes

Thanks, however, do I have to create an email address or do I just punch those credentials into the setup wizard?

1 Like

You need both an admin email account that you can access and receive emails from Discourse, and SMTP credentials which Discourse will use to send outbound emails. It looks like Mailjet can take care of the latter. The former can be as simple as a Gmail account that you control.

2 Likes

If I need an admin account, do you know where I can create it? If it is already provided, do I use the credentials for the account? Sorry, I am pretty new to this.

1 Like

If you already have an email account, you should be able to use that. If you would like something separate for your Discourse instance, you can create a new email account with a number of email providers such as Gmail, Hey, Protonmail, Outlook.com, etc.

1 Like

Ah ok, I get it now, the admin account is used to register an administrator user on the Discourse instance, while the SMTP credentials are used by Discourse to send outbound emails for a password reset, and verification. The SMTP credentials can be put into the setup wizard, is this correct?

1 Like

Yes. You’ll enter the SMTP credentials when you run discourse-setup on the command line, before the browser-based setup.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.