How many images can Discourse handle per topic?

I wanted to know how many images discourse can handle,->>>>>unlimited ? i am happy if thats the case but i wanted to know how cache management/Autopagerize works ->>>>> Does the Site loads all images as soon as the topic is opened ? i would be happy to know, if someone says->>>>>To reduce bandwidth, Processing power on CPUs who reads/opens topics, Discourse will only load first X Number of images and more images/contents will be loaded(autopagerize) only while people scroll down…

Current projects keeps getting bigger and also needs working on improving immersion.I believe i can greatly improve the topic immersion for each image by adding more images by making less contents taking place in each images.

Also can someone(moderator) help me to create a topic for me in this site in unlisted mode ? so i can see the behavior, and see if whether discourse can handle the content load, i ask this because its good to test here 1st, if any issues encountered, we can have it fixed and then later upload to the Main communities which the topic was made to share.

idk whether if its possible for moderators to create topic on my account, but here is the thing , i want to set the topic to private, posting a topic by myself and having a moderator gets it changed to unlisted will give some public users to gain access to the link, i wouldnt mind discourse staffs checking what im doing with my experiments because its your site but i think Public should not see it until the Experiment is Finished.

Meta is not meant for conducting experiments. You should set up your own Discourse instance and you can do anything you want.

If you go to a topic on here with a lot of images and open the network tab in your browser you are able to see that they load on demand and not all at once.

5 Likes

Or go to try.discourse.org and save time because then there isn’t need to search such topic :smirk:

1 Like

im not exactly sure how many images i will end up having to share for the project(As i havent even started taking screenshots of the actual full project document and the Project has surpassed 700+ Pages in Pageless format in Google Docs, i still have not finished the writing process because i still need to work on adding more clarity and improving immersion for storyboard images which will result in increasing the length of the document even more(More pages and ultimately resulting in having to take more screenshots and Get it uploaded on the discourse community which i have planned to share)).

lets assume if the end result is 1500 images which needs to be added as screenshots(Entire document shared as screenshots), Will discourse be able to handle the load ?, i ask this because sites like Google can handle the load, for example, while you search for “car images” and switch to the images tab, You can find Google displaying 500+ images at 1st and then “See more results” button where once clicked, Another batch of 500+ images will be loaded, So in Essence, Google servers can handle the load but asks for user input/consent to decide whether they want to see more images? so once users wishes to see it, more images gets loaded, is there any way to Get that behavior implemented?

Need more clarity ? See here

This is Speed up Version, 48 Seconds

Original Video, 90 Seconds

In the video, You can see the site only loads more images while “More” Button is clicked, Also, its important to note that the user needs to click more button only for the 1st two times, after you click more for 2 times, Site Server Seems to understand, user is interested in this Profile, So More Memes Gets loaded automatically(similar to infy scroll or uautopagerize extension in chrome store where paginated web sites will turn into infinite scroll) but after like 300+ images gets autoscrolled Server asks for confirmation(See 01:15 in the 2nd Video) and once clicked ~500+ images/videos will be auto scrolled before the “More” Button Shows up again.

Also you did not answer the question “how many images can discourse handle per topic ?” as your reply only says image loading behavior and discourse is not meant for conducting experiments which im fine as i can make the project look good even without testing(as now i know more ways to improve immersion), So thats not a problem But it would certainly feel Relieving if discourse says there are no limits and can also implement the same kind of behavior as seen in the video which i personally feel more Robust and yes its satisfying to know if the discourse systems are perfect, reliable and will succeed in handling/showcasing the 1500+ images to people who reads my topic exactly as i meant to be seen.

For Example, if there are 1500 images, it wouldn’t feel good if the discourse loads

1 to 360 images correctly
361, 362 missing
363 to 508 images correctly
508, 509 missing

Hope you’re grasping what i am trying to illustrate, Leaving some timeframe before the images gets loaded will be good, for Example discourse can load 1st 50 images as soon as the topic is opened, Load the Next 50 images in cache, RAM and display it only while the user reaches the end of 50th image would improve the experience. You say images not gets loaded all at once but there should be a limit on what’s considered as “on demand” by you, idk whats that default limit…

Overall, I will be happy if discourse can handled unlimited number of images , Sure Not everyone will scroll walls of text but for people who enjoy reading long topics/Like seeing a lot of new images will be happy to check them. I think having the “See more” Button will assure only people who are actually interested in having the topic to be checked will have more images getting loaded.

Why this is important ?

1. Reduce Stress on Discourse Servers

If 1500+ images Gets loaded for Everyone who opens the topic and if more people opens the 1500+ image Loaded topic all at once, it will stress the servers and will slow down down the Performance of the Website.

1. First Impression

Most of the Population have Limited Attention Span and will Lose interest/motivation to check the topics if they detect Massive “Walls of text” because most of the people checks the length 1st before investing to read and current Load behavior Get this task accomplished for the public who sees the topic so as a creator of the topic, it would be great to know only few part of the topic(1st 50 images) Gets Autoscroll support initially and the rest of the entire topic will Get loaded based upon consent(See more) which result in adding extra effort where this extra effort assures only people who Likes the topic will click the button so the other users who dont find the topic interesting wont load any more images and Exit the topic.

Here is a illustration

Discourse Servers detects My topic has 1500+ images

Server Loads 1st 50 images with Auto Scroll function

{user Reaches End of 50th image}

“See More” Button

User Clicks See More Button

Next 150+ images Gets Loaded

{user Reaches End of 200th image}

“See More” Button

Next 350+ images Gets Loaded

{user Reaches End of 550th image}

“See More” Button

Entire topic will Get Loaded as user scrolls, No More “See More” Button.

Hope you’re grasping the concept.

Is not the same as

But this place is not meant for testing. You can use try.discourse.org or create your own Discourse forum. Keep in mind that unlisted topics are unlisted, but that does not prevent others from reading them. Anyone who is watching the category will receive a notification even for unlisted topics, so it won’t be just you and staff.

3 Likes

See last reply and also provide solution for image related questions, im fine with no testing as i believe i can get the presentation good even without testing, i shouldnt have used the term testing as it is for figuring how to get something done, i already know it, was just asking something like “rehearsal”, i can handle without rehearsal.

If you are planning to publish that as one topic amount of images isn’t your the biggest issue. Just saying.

But Google doesn’t show 500 images per a search. Google is showing 500 small thumbnails. A big difference even Discourse doesn’t show full images either.

But as an user I would be quite pissed off if some forum would eat up my memory forcing my device downloading 1500 images. At that point load of a server doesn’t matter.

A VPS costs 5-10 USD month. That is your the best solution.

2 Likes

@Jagster Yeah, i saw your other reply on older post which you complained about walls of text but couldnt reply back due to the topic got locked, Im completely fine if people like you and other users who dont have patience to read walls of text doesnt read it and infact while this post was to seek support for improving first impression , its also going to help you out by stopping the auto scroll function/background loading after a certain threshold limit Gets reached so the auto scrolling function will Get resumed only after user consent is received “See More”

Having only X GB RAM and Living with Limited Internet Bandwidth ? I can Perfectly understand how frustrating it could be but please also know my target audience whom i intended to share are different from you and Not Everyone has same interest, So in case you easily get annoyed by walls of text or longer topics, Make sure to Ignore All of the topics which are created by me because my Posts will always be Long!

@RGJ
Hopefully this another user’s frustration can be served as Example and how adding the “See more” images feature will ultimately improve the user Experience for Everyone… This Feature will cater the need for both audience who loves reading longer books and the ones who easily get annoyed by walls of text.

If you’re not posting this kind of mega-content to your own forum, I think it’s worth checking in with the forum you are thinking of posting it to to see if it’s a format they actually want. It may save you some effort rather than finding out afterwards.

4 Likes

That is totally different thing. Putting 700+ pages worth of text in one workload is awfull amount data to send and receive.

Well, every bandwith is limited. But you are quite sure that your audience has enough mass storage space, enough RAM to handle it and they don’t use mobiles? Fine. But that is still great amount data to send to an user.

1 Like

I will convince the site to allow my project to be shared as the problem is currently with flagging system, since the flagging system is unable to check the entire post easily like it would for small replies, it flags it as a result and i strongly believe, the flagging system will most likely also flag while the full project is posted and will have to restore the topic manually by messaging admin.

I Believe in my newer techniques which i have worked to ultimately improve the presentation as compared to the last time i posted where it assures while admin may not be necessarily impressed with presentation or the “topic contents”, they wouldn’t end up concluding project shouldnt belong in the community.

Even if like you say, Communities which you trust and Love Wholeheartedly ends up being a disappointment, It isnt the end of the world and wouldnt make 8+ weeks which i have invested for project to become invalid, i acquired Divi Lifetime License for themes and plugins in 2017,

Will Just a build a New Website and transfer everything over there, Every problem has a solution so No Effort is considered as wasted. Im trying to stay positive but we will see how the community reacts…

For Now, i think its going to take Extra 8 to 16 days to finish up the project so within this timeframe if discourse can empower their coding talent and get this feature up and running, it will improve the scenario 10x because in most case sites wont remove the topic for the topic contents itself but rather for the topic being unusual from the rest of the other topics, Having the Entire project images Getting prevented from instant loading as auto scrolling is happening and placing a "see more " button will ultimately improve the first impression.

Hope you can relate, Improving the Presentation by making discourse follow a new unique style to handle how the longer topic contents gets delivered to the users(handling) will allow the Community to give passes for the topic even though it seems unusual(Massive Walls of text after everything gets loaded.)… Some Communities cares way too much about what other people will think and tries to do whatever it can to maintain the “Public image” Whereas other communities encourage creative topics to be resided on their communities as they give more freedom for their users as compared to other communities… Remember Gameloft forum ? its the definition of mature forum, will never delete any posts and welcomes criticism, Most of the current communities keeps only good posts and deletes the topics which expresses criticism where it results in making the experience “Meh”.

Im hoping the 2 communities which i planned to share wont be ones who sweats too much about what other people will think about them.

The 1st thing which i say on my project , Its Recommended to View this Project on PC, Not on a Smartphone with a Much Bigger Font Size. My Target audience are PC Gamers and Untouched Blu-ray Disc Fans.

Next, Yes You’re absolutely right, Most people wont have powerful devices and its not cool/fair to Expect people to have them which is the reason why i suggested to add a Limit for Image Load auto scrolling and Add a user consent “See more” before further images gets loaded. And i dont know about you but if people are clicking “See more”, its a sign they are interested to see more from the project , Nobody would click “See more” if they are not interested, The 1st 50 images which would be less than 30mb should give an idea for people and helps them to make a decision on whether they should check the additional parts of the project or not and i do believe people aren’t that uneducated where they would be unable to make a decision on whether they should have more contents checked or not as you make it out to be.

If discourse figures out a way to offer this feature and only X number of images gets shown 1st before you have to click “see more” in order to have the rest of the topic getting loaded, why complain? The topic Which only loads 1st 30 images of topic initially wont necessarily end up overheating your device and in case you find your device is unable to handle 30 images, Its time to upgrade your device or take a note of users who is posting longer content and consider adding them to your ignore list, For Example, If you find my topics stressing out your device and also you, you can add me to ignore list so my topics will never seen by you.

This Post Should help you to Ignore anyone whom you find annoying including me.

I think your chances of the feature being developed in that timeframe are very low.

1 Like

Blake from discourse was able to fix Loom video onebox support within 2 days, I think its not about how long new features takes to implement, its more about the uniqueness of feature and “Why”.

I have done my part, Lets hope some developers finds the uniqueness of this request and will Get this feature done not instantly but within 14 to 21 days, Looking at the way and nature of this request, its not about complexity but about priority, Staying Positive.

I’m not totally sure if you understand how topics work or do you use wrong lingo, but topics AND posts act like that already.

But if you want such behaviour for images in a post then you have to use a gallery and splitting a post when loading…, I don’t think so.

Perhaps tuning an onebox question that is used by many is on different magnitude than an unique feature that needs a lot more changes on plugin-level. But what I know :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I asked Bard about if its possible for discourse to Accomplish this and what Bard thinks about usage of 1500+images and See more feature, Here is Bard says(Bard Matches my concerns Exactly)

I edited the image to remove the methods on the technical setup of how to get it done as i believe discourse team of developers will already be having an idea on how to Execute it properly.

These 3 drafts are being added to Justify the Reason on “Why” this feature should be considered for ultimately improving the user experience.

Draft A:

Draft B:

Draft C:

Hello :wave:

I’m sorry, but I didn’t read the whole topic, I rather generated an AI ​​summary.

1. 700+ pages? I suspect it won’t fit in a single post because of the character limit.

2. The Show more button would make sense if you upload the images separately from the text in a gallery-like manner, but I suspect that these images are inline in the text.

3. The images loading is lazy and thumbnails generated. This makes it smaller and loads faster. Of course, this also depends on the configuration. For example: the website uses CDN or not etc…

So, if you really want to publish this on the forum and not just share a link to the doc or embed it in a post then I would first discuss it with the staff of the given forum to see if they even have the possibility to start a topic of this size.

If the project gets the green light, I would ask them for a private topic where I can edit the entire topic in advance. If this is available, I would divide those 700 pages into posts.

Good to know that when you open a topic, only 20 posts are loaded at a time. This is precisely so that even a mega topic with thousands of posts can be loaded in almost the same time as small topics. This actually corresponds to the Show more button, as you scroll the topic it loads the next 20 posts and so on…

When you are ready with the entire topic, the staff will make it public on the site.

5 Likes

Bard demonstated what hallucination and in-coded need to give an answer means. Shortly: it didn’t answer to that question you actually have. What ever.

Good luck to try. But one gigantic post will fail.

Discourse lazy loads large images that are outside of the user’s view to avoid the issue of loading many images at once, a little detail here: Lazy Loading Images

Discourse also adds and removes posts from the document as you scroll through a topic. This allows the application to maintain performance in situations where there are hundreds or thousands of posts.

Maybe 1500 images could work… though this is incredibly variable along with image size. There’s a big difference between a 15kb and 5mb image.

If you’re worried about performance and can’t be bothered to test it ahead of time… I’d second the recommendation of splitting the images across multiple posts so you’re utilizing our auto pagination feature alongside image lazy loading.

Do not count on this happening based on a single person’s request, especially not for free within that amount of time. To be completely honest it’s a bit silly to even suggest it.

8 Likes