How to change topic limits for new users

Looks like the default is that new users cannot post more than 3 new topics in their first day (or something like that). I understand this has to do with trust levels. But I’m not finding the way to customize this in the admin dashboard.

In my case, I have some new users coming in who are meant to be very active from the get-go.

So how do I change the topic limits for new users?

2 Likes

Search for “newuser” in your site settings.

2 Likes

Thanks, but I don’t think I am seeing what I need. In my case, a new user told me they got a warning about being a new user when they tried to create a 3rd topic, and were prevented from creating that topic.

When I search “newuser”, I see settings for:
-max replies per topic
-max mentions per post
-max links
-max images
-max attachments
-spam host threshold

I do not see a “max new topics” or the like.

The one you’re looking for I believe is:
rate limit new user create topic

You may also find this one useful:
rate limit new user create post

3 Likes

Good catch!

Would it make sense to make those settings names consistent with respect to the space?

3 Likes

Our site has the same problem as it is a programming language site so some eager beavers ask questions like they own a question generating machine or something.

The option I changed was

max topics in first day

and set it to 7.

EDIT

For a related discussion see: Admin, split topic. Limited by new user daily limit

3 Likes

That’s it! Thanks. It is by default set to 3.

3 Likes

Good idea. Another change that I think could help quite a lot in being able to find settings is updating the settings search to not require words to be in the exact order: Admin Settings Search Suggestion - Word Order

@EricGT - Oh great, thanks! This is useful to me too.

3 Likes