How to Disable activation_reminder email sending?

AI-generated summary

The discussion is about disabling the activation_reminder email in Discourse. Alt_Four wants to stop these emails from being sent as they are using up their Brevo email credits. NateDhaliwal suggests a plugin to disable email verification, but is unsure if it works. Lilly doesn’t think there is a setting for this and suggests lowering a specific setting or using DiscourseConnect SSO with social login. simon confirms there is no setting to disable the email and suggests using the “purge unactivated users grace period days” setting, which copymonopoly has already set to 1 day to try and solve the issue.

Ello Luvs. I’m eating through all my Brevo email credits like crazy and one of the main things I noticed was these “activation_reminder” emails being sent out.

How do I stop those emails from being sent out because if they don’t remember then that’s on them you know, plus Brevo expensive man

Im also kind of new to this so please dont roast me too hard, a little is nice though, mmm

These emails are sent out because users who signup need their account to be verified. There is a plugin to disable this, but I’m not sure if it works.

hi @Alt_Four :wave: welcome :slight_smile:

I don’t think there is a setting for this?

hmm perhaps try lowering this setting?

or use DiscourseConnect SSO with a social login

There doesn’t seem to be:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/8fb2e2a3ecc99e64ef4a1b127990e5b454cb3dbe/app/jobs/scheduled/activation_reminder_emails.rb#L11

The email will get sent to an unactivated user once, 2 days after they signed up on the site.

The purge unactivated users grace period days setting could be used to prevent it, but I think you’d have to set it to 1 day.

Realistically, if a user doesn’t activate their account shortly after signing up, does the activation reminder work to get them to complete the signup process?

I’ve already set “purge unactivated users grace period days” to 1 day, hoping this will solve the issue. Thank you!