How to send mass message to forum users?

faq-material

(rain) #1

If Discourse forum system has mass message function? That’s to say, moderator can send internal message (notice) to all forum users one time. Thanks.

(Vinoth Kannan) #2

I hope this is what you are looking for

(rain) #3

Thanks a lot for your help.
But if i want to establish one Group name all users, i can’t add the trust_level_0 into the group.

And, if i want to post message, i can’t select trust_level_0 in the receiver column.

So i don’t know how to send message to batch users. I need you help, thanks a lot.

(Vinoth Kannan) #4

sorry. I can’t catch your point

(rain) #5

That’s to say, if administrator wants to send mass message to all of forum users? how can he do? thanks.

(Vinoth Kannan) #6

I hope the inbuilt group @everyone will help you to do this

(Régis Hanol) #7

No, mentioning the @everyone group does not mention everyone.

(rain) #8

Then, how to do it? thanks

(Régis Hanol) #9

It’s not possible through a mention. You can show a global notice though.

(Vinoth Kannan) #10

even admin can’t send PM to everyone group?

(Felix Freiberger) #11

You could mention @trust_level_0 after allowing this in site settings.

(rain) #12

If i don’t want other users to see how many people in level 0 , (it means i don’t use mention function), then can i set up one Group of all users?

(Felix Freiberger) #13

@trust_level_0 is a group of all users :slight_smile:

(rain) #14

Get it, thanks a lot.

(achamess) #15

How do I do this? How do I enable mentioning @trust_level_0? @fefrei

Update: I figured it out. Here is a screenshot for anyone who needs to do this.

(achamess) #16

So I did this, and the trust_level_0 appears to have all users in my forum, but it looks like not everyone was emailed the notice of the PM. I see only a handful of people got emails around the time I sent. Is there some lag time?

Mentioning @trust_level_0
(Mittineague) #17

IMHO, if you want to mass email your forum members it would be better to not do it through Discourse.

If your intent is to mass email, as compared to mass Notification, I think it would be better to export your members’ email addresses and use an email provider.

As for a possible delay, it could be that a job needs to run. But it could be that some members, depending on their activity and how they have their Preference Settings that they won’t get an email.

(Leo McArdle) #18

If you really do want to send an email to all your users through Discourse, I created a plugin to do that a while ago:

Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

Does this plugin still works?

(Leo McArdle) #20

We haven’t used it recently - sending an email to every single one of your users isn’t something you’ll want to be doing very often if you want to keep those users - but there’s no reason I can think of that it wouldn’t still work.