I am trying to install Discourse on Ubuntu BUT it's not working

So I am trying to install DC (we’ll call it that) on my Ubuntu machine but when I enter my website domain it says…

WARNING: Port 443 of computer does not appear to be accessible using hostname:  discoursedemo.tk.
WARNING: Connection to http://discoursedemo.tk (port 80) also fails.

This suggests that discoursedemo.tk resolves to some IP address that does not reach this 
machine where you are installing discourse.

The first thing to do is confirm that discoursedemo.tk resolves to the IP address of this server.
You usually do this at the same place you purchased the domain.

I use CloudFlare for the DNS stuff and FreeNom for the domain. Here is a screenshot of what I have in my DNS list:

Am I doing something wrong here? I am trying to host this ON my machine not on any servers like somethingOcean (I forgot what it’s called)

Like I said I want this to be on MY machine and not on any servers like somethingOcean (again I can’t remember lol) and stuff (so I don’t have to pay)

FYI: I logged in with GitHub so that’s why I have that profile picture and name lol

The problem is just as described. If this is your home computer then it’s likely a firewall problem. You need to make sure that incoming connections to ports 80 and 443 get to your computer.

4 Likes

More info needed. Are you able to ping the server using a domain name?

1 Like

Then how’d I stop the firewall interfering? Ubuntu doesn’t have one right? I’ll look into this.

ping discoursedemo.tk
ping: discoursedemo.tk: No address associated with hostname

Wait why is it doing this?

Yeah no Ubuntu doesn’t have one… unless I’m wrong?

You need an A record in your DNS that resolves discoursedemo.tk to the IP address of your server.

1 Like

In the image you posted, you created a CNAME for discoursedemo.tk. You need to create an A record that is the public IP of wherever your machine is. I’d recommend that you use some subdomain, if only a www.

1 Like

So like if I get my PubIP from like a Public IP Grabber?

@pfaffman @downey, so here is what I did:

Still didn’t work. I must be messing something up, but the thing is, WHAT am I messing up?

FWIW, www.discoursedemo.tk is now resolving to the IP address in question from my DNS provider. I am also able to ping that host successfully, so the Internet can see it.

I am not able to reach it on port 443 or port 80, which could either mean that no web server on your host is yet listening on those ports, or that a firewall is blocking the connection.

2 Likes

Ok so it has a firewall which I just noticed but I don’t know how to change it so it works for them ports, can’t turn it off either…

Wait oh no I am at max replies.

Edit: Wait I just noticed, how do I change the ports Discourse listens on? 80 and 422 are blocked if you have a free account on CloudFlare LOL

Edit 2: So I can’t rebuild the app. It says to make sure some daemon is launched.

Edit 3: So I am stuck on Checking your domain name . . . oh no.

Again like I said I am at max replies… RIP

Also I changed the ports and it rebuilt itself anyways so…

Unfortunately I don’t know anything about CloudFlare or their services and what may be limited by what plans. You might want to try their own support sites or forums to get help in configuring it.

I also have never installed Discourse on a non-standard port so can’t help you with that; there may be other people who have done so, but generally most web sites are run on ports 80 (http) or 443 (https).

2 Likes

Yeah it doesn’t matter what port it runs on internally but you’d surely need it to be exposed on 80 and preferably 443 to the outside world for browsers to be able to communicate with it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.