Port 443 Not Accessible

Hello there. I am trying to setup Discourse on an Ubuntu server (Ubuntu 20 to be exact), but I keep receiving the WARNING: Port 443 of computer does not appear to be accessible using hostname: error every time. I’ve tried numerous solutions to this and have gone around browsing for a lot of answer, but I still cannot find a solution. This is my first time setting up a Discourse server, so I am not entirely sure what I am doing wrong or what is wrong. The entire error is:

root@vps-zap581523-2:/opt/discourse# ./discourse-setup
Ports 80 and 443 are free for use
'samples/standalone.yml' -> 'containers/app.yml'
Found 4GB of memory and 20 physical CPU cores
setting db_shared_buffers = 1024MB
setting UNICORN_WORKERS = 8
containers/app.yml memory parameters updated.

Hostname for your Discourse? [discourse.example.com]: forum.mayflowerleti.org

Checking your domain name . . .
./discourse-setup: line 36: curl: command not found
WARNING: Port 443 of computer does not appear to be accessible using hostname:  forum.mayflowerleti.org.
./discourse-setup: line 36: curl: command not found
WARNING: Connection to http://forum.mayflowerleti.org (port 80) also fails.

This suggests that forum.mayflowerleti.org resolves to some IP address that does not reach this
machine where you are installing discourse.

The first thing to do is confirm that forum.mayflowerleti.org resolves to the IP address of this server.
You usually do this at the same place you purchased the domain.

If you are sure that the IP address resolves correctly, it could be a firewall issue.
A web search for "open ports YOUR CLOUD SERVICE" might help.

This tool is designed only for the most standard installations. If you cannot resolve
the issue above, you will need to edit containers/app.yml yourself and then type

./launcher rebuild app

root@vps-zap581523-2:/opt/discourse#

At this point, I don’t know what to do. The person who owns the VPS has pointed the DNS to the IP of our VPS that Discourse is on, but it still isn’t working. He also told me that there isn’t a firewall that is blocking it, so I am not entirely sure why it isn’t working. If I could get some help, that would be amazing. Apologies for creating yet another one of these topics, but I didn’t have much of a choice at this point. Thank you for your time and help.

The domain record that you should have added is not yet avail or not correctly setup.

forum.domain should be pointing to your ubuntu where discourse is going to run.

please check and try again.

I believe it is pointing to the Ubuntu server.

It can be seen here that it’s pointed to the Ubuntu server. Not sure if it’s supposed to be configured another way, but from what it looks like, it is directed straight to the Ubuntu server. Thank you for the help though.

If that is the correct IP address, then you should be good to go

1 Like

The IP address is correct, but it isn’t working. It still gives off the error mentioned above, and I have no idea why. Thank you for your time and help though.

which install manual are you using ?

the path should be /var/discourse/ if you using the standard install

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

1 Like

This looks like a problem; is curl actually installed? If not, install it: apt install curl.

1 Like

@IAmGav, Putting it into the var directory has seemed to make it work. My guess is that it needed to be there, alongside with me needing to install / repair curl, which was suggested by @danb35. Unsure if it was the change to the var directory, the installment of curl, just time passing by and finally registering, or all of them combined. Thank you both very much. Not sure which answer I should mark as the solution here. Once I finish setup, I’ll probably mark one of your answers as the solution. If setup fails, then you’ll probably see another reply for me. Meanwhile, it seemed to have connected. Thank you both very much!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.