I can not install Discourse in my VPS: bootstrap Failed all the time!

I am trying to install Discourse on my VPS with Ubuntu 18.04. I follow the instructions given in Github and it allways end with the following error:

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake assets:precompile' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 1571 exit 137>
Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:112:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"bundle_exec", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle install --deployment --verbose --without test --without development --retry 3 --jobs 4'", "su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate'", "su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake assets:precompile'"]}
0f8bdf09ca3b6599fd8ea88682c50d48016fc94240c7431dc7a73a2b4c5db56f
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one

What should I do?

1 Like

Please follow the instructions and share the real error message:

2 Likes

Hi Rafael, thanks for your reply.

I do not see any error when i scroll up. Maybe I should erase everything again and try install again.

You can try running

./discourse-doctor

Which will save the output to a file to make it easier to read.

Hi Jay. Thans for your reply.

I was wasting too much time trying to make the site work, so I decided to just start on my VPS with a new installation from scratch.

I use this VPS only to test Python programs and I had other things running in the background, and I think some kind of conflicts existed and that I would not be able to locate the problem in a reasonable amount of time. 72 hours just trying to install the program was enough.

Now it’s working pretty well. It just has a lot of problems with content in English and Spanish. I installed the Spanish version but most of the contents are still in English. It’s disappointing but I’m trying to solve all that nonsense to see if it really is worth using discourse for my new website.

Discourse is 99.4% translated to spanish, it’s our most complete translation.

You will still see some stuff in english, like the welcome topic, but you are supposed to customize those anyway.

5 Likes