I can't start a Discourse

How? I didn’t quite understand what you mean.

I mean like swap github.com for google.com in the command

root@37-app:/var/www/discourse# curl google.com -v
* Could not resolve host: google.com
* Closing connection 0
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: google.com
root@37-app:/var/www/discourse# 

It can’t connect because ports are closed. Are you using firewall, reverse proxy, other services, etc?

How is your setup — are you using some hosting service?

I currently have a system based on Ubuntu 18.04. I use vds.

Well, do you have ports 443 and 80 open and no other services listening those?

How can I learn this? If it were normal Linux, I could give you the information you want immediately, but I think we need to do different things here since we are using docker.

And yet Ubuntu is just ordinary linux :wink:

Sure, it can come via docker too. But I would start looking for easy and ordinary things first. Like what your UFW says.

I typed ./launcher enter app and then entered this command:

root@37-app:/var/www/discourse# netstat -tulnp
bash: netstat: command not found

Don’t go in docker. Ask it, and ufw status, just normally in shell.

1 Like
root@37:~# netstat -tulnp
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name    
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      136231/systemd-reso 
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:80              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      128299/docker-proxy 
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      136191/sshd: /usr/s 
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:443             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      128276/docker-proxy 
tcp6       0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      128306/docker-proxy 
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      136191/sshd: /usr/s 
tcp6       0      0 :::443                  :::*                    LISTEN      128284/docker-proxy 
udp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53           0.0.0.0:*                           136231/systemd-reso 

++

root@37:~# ufw status
1 Like

Try this:

If it doesn’t help then you know the issue may be docker itself.

I followed the steps in the article you gave, but I still get the same error. What should I do now?

Have you red this:

Or this:

Or this:

There are several topics that are close to same issues you have.

Sorry, but I have sub-zero knowledge of docker :woozy_face:

2 Likes

It seems like some networking issue. You might try copying /var/discourse to a new server, especially one with a different hosting service.

There’s a topic about moving to a different server. Move a Discourse site to another VPS with rsync

3 Likes

What kind of server are you attempting to launch discourse with?

A $12/month server with this platform will work with the standard install procedure:

I don’t know if it is matter of money because that Discourse can’t see the outside world :thinking:

This does look like the problem, probably asking server administrator/help desk would be a good first step if there is no connection to the internet.

1 Like

One has to be careful here not to conflate two separate problems while troubleshooting. Incoming ports being closed does not affect outgoing connections.

The best first step here is probably a reboot to ensure that the networking stack and Docker initialise cleanly.

1 Like

And yet most of admins are using UFW and it takes care both directions.