Ignore button available for forum users?

Hi

I have another question.

Is there an ignore button function we can request our forum. Install?

I know of a mute button that stops notifications from a thread.
But is there an ignore or block button where a chatter can be ignored by other users

Thankyou.

If you go to your profile’s Preferences - Notifications you’ll see a text input near

Users
Muted
Suppress all notifications from these users.

Similar to the categories and tags Mute inputs, entering member names there will, like it says, suppress all notifications from them.

2 Likes

Thankyou. I am not that computer literate

Does this mean I won’t see their posts on different threads?

Or will I still see their posts?

You will still be able to see their posts, but you will not get any notifications of their posts.

For example, if MutedMember makes a post in Interesting Topic that @ mentions you, you will not get a Notification that they @ mentioned you. But if you later go to Interesting Topic and read it, you can choose to read or not read the post. Muting a member does not remove all evidence of their existence on the forum. In other words, it’s kind of like you can go to them but they won’t go to you.

2 Likes

Thanks.

So just to confirm, there is no ignore or block function on these forums?

Not as in “don’t show me anything to do with this member at all, ever”.

IMHO, if you have a problem with a member that bothers you to the point you want to Mute them, you should Flag the post to let the Moderators know of their behavior.

4 Likes

Thanks.

Our mods seem to be suspending anyone with a problem with one chatter., and/or when he is flagged. We are being accused of collaborating in a campaign against him when we flag.

Our old forum we could just ignore these type of chatters,

People are leaving the forum because of it.

Thanks. I can tell people who are wondering why we cant ignore, that there is no ignore function on these new forums.

1 Like

I think you can block or suspend such users in the admin panel (if you’re admin)

yourforum.com/admin/users/list/suspended

if you suspend them, their older posts will be invisible or blur (I guess).

This sounds like your forum has a problem with how the moderation is being run, and unfortunately I can’t directly help you resolve that.

It sounds like a schism is developing. Perhaps you should take steps to recapture the people who are leaving onto a new forum.

1 Like

In the community where I generally participate, a user was banned by the admins recently. Some users have started a thread asking for that decision to be reversed, while others have expressed gratitude for the step. I see this as a prime example of the need for an ‘ignore user’ feature, as well as why it is a reasonable request.

Allowing each user to decide for themselves whether to see this person’s posts is, in most forum applications, a standard feature. The powers-that-be at Discourse evidently don’t feel the average user is mature enough to make that decision. They seem to think only the forum admins are capable of making that decision.

On the other hand, the Discourse folks don’t respect the admins either. If they did, they would provide the tools so that the forum owners can decide for themselves how to run their forums.

1 Like

You can run the stylish plugin in the browser and use that to hide whatever posters you need.

Not everyone who wants to ignore a user in a forum has the knowledge to create a Stylish style.

I’ve been using “ignore” for as long as I can remember.

Perhaps the best thing about it is that it’s no-tech.

When I see an avatar and certain visual clues I sometimes do a “That one, prattling on again” scroll by skim.

But they have and do provide the tools. There has been a long available Pull Request Welcome for such a feature. That the Discourse team does not think it worth the effort to put a probable damaging feature into Core themselves, it does not mean that others can’t do something about making a feature available for others to use at their discretion.

1 Like

Ignore is on the long term list, it just needs to be built so it is time-boxed, category-boxed, or topic-boxed by default.

2 Likes

Small note: the extension by the name of “Stylish” was bought out and was briefly updated to include invasive tracking before being removed from AMO. There are other extensions with equivalent functionality now.

5 Likes

For anyone looking for the fork, it’s called Stylus:

We solved this on Elsewhere.Cafe by modifying SleepProgger’s userscript. It works fantastically and client-side (meaning separate settings per user device)

1 Like

Ignore feature has been in core for some time now

4 Likes

And it has been, to put it mildly, rather inconsistent in how it works, doesn’t show a mute button on private profiles, and auto-times out on the system’s basis and not the user’s. Oh, yeah, and if a user you muted posts, when viewing a thread, it shows it anyway.

The script route puts power in the user’s hands, is intuitive, and works 100% of the time.

Simply add the user to the list of muted users on your profile, in that case. You can’t force other people to have a public profile. That’s not how any of this works.

Not true, totally incorrect. There is also no concept of a “thread” in Discourse. Did you mean topic?