We are now trialling improvements to the Bookmarks functionality in Discourse on Meta and internally. All existing
post_actions bookmarks here on Meta have been migrated to a new table (called, funnily enough,
bookmarks). The feature is not available to everyone just yet.
Bookmark naming and reminders
When you bookmark a post a modal window will now show up with various options.
Note: Topic-level bookmarks (which bookmark the OP of the topic) are not yet using this new modal window. That is on our “Still to come” list for now.
You can click save or simply click out of the modal and a normal bookmark will be saved for the post, with no name or reminder (note how “No reminder needed” is selected by default). You can now also specify a name for the bookmark to help you remember why you bookmarked it. Otherwise you can choose from the following:
- Later today — Now + 3 hours, rounding to half-hour intervals. Cutoff time for this is 5pm (so 2pm is the latest you can select this option).
- Next business day — Mon-Fri at 8am. On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this option will be Monday, the rest of the time it will be the same as Tomorrow.
- Next week — Now + 7 days at 8am.
- Next month — The current date next month at 8am.
- Custom date and time — Allows you to specify your own date and time for the reminder.
Any time the “Custom date and time” option is selected we we will remember the input you chose and next time you bookmark a post another reminder option will be shown:
- Last — The last entered custom date and time, as long as that date and time is in the future
Setting topic-level bookmarks and clearing bookmarks for a whole topic works the same way as what it used to.
We send reminder notifications in five minute batches, so delivery of custom reminders will not occur on the dot. This means if you set a custom reminder for
8:33am (if you are a very specific person) your reminder will come through at
8:35am at the earliest. Any failed notifications we will retry in the next batch.
Once a reminder is sent the reminder time and type is cleared but the bookmark remains. The only way currently to set another reminder is to click the bookmark icon for a post to clear it, then bookmark the post again.
Here is what a bookmark reminder notification looks like:
Lists and navigation
The bookmarks in the quick navigation bar now come from the new table and will show you if you have a reminder set for the bookmark:
In the user profile activity page the Bookmarks link now shows a new list of bookmarks. From here you can see what you named the bookmark as well as the time the reminder will be sent:
You can remove bookmarks from the actions menu at the side of each bookmarked post in the list.
Still to come
We have a few future improvements planned including:
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Use the new modal window and reminders for topic-level bookmarks
- Reminding you when you move from mobile to laptop/desktop
- Improving the bookmark list
- Allowing editing bookmark names and reminders
- Recurring reminders
- Reminder time parameter customisation
Any feedback on this new feature here on Meta would be appreciated