Improvements for posts awaiting approval

I had some time this week to think further about the Queued Posts screen, and I worked on some mockups in Sketch. Here it goes:

###Queued Posts list

This looks like a regular list of topics, as elsewhere in Discourse. Clicking on each topic would open the topic screen, where the moderation would happen.

On the Actions column, I am proposing a new feature: to be able to assign a specific topic to an admin/moderator. This would allow admins to triage incoming posts as well as avoid an issue I have been running into with the current queued posts, where admins do not know if another admin is working on a particular topic (or communicating with the poster).

###Moderate queued posts in topic screen

I propose to have the queued posts be moderated in their context, whether it’s a new topic (first post) or a reply to an existing topic.

Here is what it would look like as a first post:

and here is it what it could look like as a reply:

Having the moderation happen in context is a little slower when moderating in bulk (more clicks required), but IMO it’s better. For clarity, a list of the advantages:

• It’s easier to see, whether a reply is appropriate or not.
  • For new topics, admin can see how the post would look exactly.
  • editing can now use the composer
  • PM’ing the poster would be as convenient as usual (point 1 in my initial list)
  • staff notes (point 3) would be covered by the Staff Notes plugin.

(Happy to discuss this further and/or contribute to making this happen.)

6 Likes