Introducing the Staff Notes Plugin

official

(Robin Ward) #1

I’d like to introduce the official discourse-staff-notes plugin. The idea here is that sometimes staff members want to share notes about a particular user to help with moderation or support duties.

You can add a Staff Note to any user by using the admin menu on one of their posts:

The interface is displayed in a modal (which is also accessible from the user’s profile page). You can add as many notes as you need to, complete with markdown support:

If a user has a staff note, whenever they post you’ll see a little notes icon. Clicking it will bring up the notes:

That’s pretty much all there is to it! I’d love to hear feedback from people who install and try it out. I should note that it currently requires the tests-passed branch of discourse to work, although within a week or so it should work with the latest beta.

Moderation Tools
Private Profile Notes
Send official warning to multiple recipients
Improvements for posts awaiting approval
"Staff Notes" plugin showing even when not enabled?
Naming bookmarks
Viewing a user's suspension history
(Felix Freiberger) #2

Awesome!

Are you sure the setting to enable the plugin is called tagging_enabled? :wink:

(Robin Ward) #3

Lol oops that must be some bad copying and pasting. Fixed that README and it should be accurate now :slight_smile:

(Philippe Rollin) #4

Any chance this will make it to the list of included plugins for hosted instances like discourse-tagging or discourse-spoiler-alert?

(Robin Ward) #5

Almost certainly, once we’re sure it’s working well.

(Gaurang Tandon) #6

Is there a way to get a list of users who have staff notes attached to their posts?

(Robin Ward) #8

Not right now, but what’s the use case? If I understand I might be motivated to help do this :slight_smile:

I can see using it to tag users and I might want to get back a list of a particular tag. For instance, when I’m reading someone’s post and I think “Hmm, they have a really nice way with words and might make good moderator material down the road.”. Right now I might bookmark the post but now that we’ve had our instance for awhile I probably have 1.2 zillion bookmarks (my bad), or send myself an email … another black hole, you get the idea.

(Bill Snider) #11

Am I to understand that this plugin makes notes visible to all admins and moderators?

(Sam Saffron) #12

Yes, that is correct

(Bill Snider) #13

Where do I sign up? <!---------------------->:grinning:

(Sam Saffron) #14

Let us know and we can install it for you :slight_smile:

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #15

Would love to test this at Stonehearth as well! Do you have plans to deploy this to business hosting, or will it only be for enterprise?

I want it at FeverBee too! It’ll be perfect for noting skills/areas of expertise.

Edit: credit to @eviltrout.

(Sam Saffron) #17

@eviltrout built it :blush: I think we will add it as an official plugin on business tier and up (or maybe even standard), thoughts @codinghorror?

(Jeff Atwood) #18

Sure, business and up is fine for this. I do worry we haven’t quite finished building / testing the plugin before rolling it out “everywhere” though.

(Sam Saffron) #19

OK let’s hold off for 2 weeks then, @HAWK can you remind us in two weeks so we can add it to the container definition?

Yup, sure can. Thanks!

(‏Deukhoofd) #22

Having installed the plugin on my forums (v1.5.0.beta13b), I get the setting and button, but the button doesn’t seem to do anything and returns the following error:

“Uncaught Error: Nothing handled the action ‘showStaffNotes’. If you did handle the action, this error can be caused by returning true from an action handler in a controller, causing the action to bubble.”

Edit: Resolved by a cache refresh

(Jesse Perry) #23

Would this work on private messages too? I’m assuming yes since a private message is essentially another topic?