Improvements to URLs in custom user fields when they link to the forum domain

So, every goat farmer in our forum is allowed to create their own personal topic where they share their company news.

I created a custom user field where they can put a URL to such a topic. However, it is not clickable.

In this topic I read why links are not clickable by default. However, when linked to the same domain where the forum runs, it should not be dangerous.

I propose a few ideas on how to improve links behaviour, choose one or many:

1. Make all links in custom user fields, as well as in user profile description, clickable, if the domain matches the forum domain.

2. Add a domains whitelist into settings and make all links containing the domain clickable in user profile and custom user fields

3. If a custom user field (or website url standard user field) contains only a link, and it is a topic or a message link, display the topic title instead and make it clickable.

1 Like

Sounds reasonable, but it’s still very niche. You have some programmer chops, so maybe you’d be able to make a plugin for this? You could ask for help in the Dev category when necessary.

I tried once and it looks as if Ruby and Ember are not my friends at all. So I don’t code for Discourse, unfortunately. However, I gladly do other things, e.g. translating to Russian, reporting bugs and actively participating in meta.

3 Likes

We now have a howto for this:

2 Likes