Incoming emails trimmed despite trimming disabled

Our community heavily relies on emails, hence we have trim incoming emails disabled:

However, sometimes emails still seem to get trimmed. What’s worse, some parts of the emails get completely dropped, i.e. not only hidden under ... but they are not present anymore in any form.

I have tested this in the Advanced Test Email preview and interestingly the plain text message did not get trimmed, but the HTML version did.

I’m trying to produce an anonymised MWE but in the meantime I could share the mail privately with whom could look into it.

Hi again, so I found a simple example which shows the odd behaviour:

Dear Authors, 
the final reading for is scheduled for

monday, september 5th, at 2pm. 

the page for this meeting is:

yields in the test:

This is a very important bug that we would like to ask to be resolved asap!
cc our CERN IT colleague @trobiyo

Thanks!

p.s. note the mail was sent from Thunderbird but I copied the plain text and it still gives this issue.

1 Like

Hi @artur :slight_smile:

Let’s see if we can bump this further up the list. :slight_smile: Could you send me some specific examples by PM so we can investigate further?

2 Likes

Hi @JammyDodger !
In principle even the example above is already quite surprising. Could you reproduce this issue with it? Otherwise I can PM you some more of course.
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I’ve run that through my test site, and I can confirm that this also happens in my advanced test page:

But in the email-in test in seems to accept it with no elision: (sending from zohomail)

I may need some more examples to test it on to get a better idea of what I’m looking at?

3 Likes

I’m sorry to bring up this old thread, just wondering if the issue got solved as we are having a similar issue and I thus didn’T want to open another thread. Exploring the email in question, a multi-part message in MIME format, the text/plain content looks unsuspiciously:

Hallo beisammen,

anbei erhaltet ihr für den UK am kommenden Dienstag das aktualisierte [...]

The text is trimmed as following:

Hallo beisammen,

(only the first line survives) This happens independently from any trim admin setting and is reproducible by the advanced email tester (pasting the complete email source code).
Looking at the text/html part of the email it reveals:

<html>
  <head>

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Hallo beisammen,
    <div class="moz-forward-container">
          <p>anbei erhaltet ihr für den UK am kommenden Dienstag das [...]

My hypothesis is, that somehow a forwarded mail was involved and the user probably manually copy & pasted the (html formatted) text, removed the formatting layout (but the div remained). Looking at the text/plain part, it is not recognicable at all as a forwarded email. Not sure, if that was the same issue for @artur.

I’m wondering if the magic of recognizing forwarded email content could somehow be improved.