Email signature not being stripped out when user write new topic or reply to a topic

(Manfred Bayer Lemerz) #1

Hallo

When sending a new post or reply to a post via mail the email signature was not
stripped out.

The following was posted as a new topic:

Mal sehen was hier mit der Signatur passiert!

-- 
Mit lieben Grüßen

Manfred Bayer-Lemerz

Is there a setting to turn the stripping out off or on?

I have the original email headers/source available for anyone who wants to look at this bug more closely.

thanks

Manfred

(Régis Hanol) #2

Signature stripping is done automatically. Since there’s no standard, it’s hard to get it right for all the billions signature formats out there. Can you PM me the raw email so that I can have a look?

(Manfred Bayer Lemerz) #3

Thanks for the fast answer! Will send you the File right away!

(Wes Osborn) #4

For our group it would be helpful to understand what the preferred signature format is. For example, we could let folks know that anything after ten dashes ---------- would be parsed as a signature. We could then be in contact with our most difficult signature offenders (those that include images as part of their signature) and ask them to prepend their signature line with ten dashes. I realize this method wouldn’t work for everyone, but it would be very helpful for our smaller group (300 members).

Or possibly include something in the Admin that allowed us to specify our own local signature formats that would be stripped from incoming emails.

Email replies filter signatures?
(Eli the Bearded) #5

Usenet signature cut lines are standardized. How many people get it right (follow suit) in email is another matter. The quoted text in the first post does appear to be a standard Usenet cut line: hyphen-hyphen-space.

When I was young, I was told that the standard is two lines, space and linebreak.

(Jay Pfaffman) #7

A solution that I’ve mused about is that there couple be a use setting that included the text to remove. People could then paste their sig in there and have it removed when they posted.

Its still rather fiddly,but easier than machine learning.

(Régis Hanol) #8

I upgraded our email_reply_trimmer library and pushed it to master. Can you give it a try?

(Dirk Jahnke) #9

Not sure, if this behaviour really belongs to this change: Emails are not accepted because of a invalid main body or a body, that is too short. In fact, the body is long enough according to the rules (min. 20 characters) and I cannot see a reason, why it should not be accepted. Maybe we strip out too much of the content?

I can provide you the email that matters.

Dirk

(Steve) #10

I have a few users who are willing to update their email signatures, but I’m confused on what I should tell them.

What signature protocols does Discourse accept?

What is the signal to for discourse to cut the signature?