Invitation dialog annotation and default message

Hello team. I began sending out invitations from an invitation‑only site. And I found the instructions on dialog box to be confusing. Namely:

We’ll send a brief email allowing your friend to immediately join by clicking a link, no login required.

discourse-invite-dialog.screenshot-20200208t104242z

I would have thought “register” would be better than “join” as it is more specific. And the “no login required” remark doesn’t make sense to me, surely every contributor needs to log in?

And where can I change the default custom message. It is currently pretty casual for my use‑case.

Potentially related threads:

I am running the latest stable version from 21 January 2020. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Having just watched the process, I think “no approval required” would be more accurate.

1 Like

Feel free to edit that copy to your taste via Admin, Customize… every single word in Discourse can be overridden and customized.

4 Likes

Thanks. I did not know that. The js.topic.invite_reply.to_forum field now reads:

The site will send a brief email allowing your friend to register immediately by clicking a link, with no subsequent approval required.

The default custom message is fine as it stands. But I would strongly suggest the above is more accurate and should be patched in. I believe that being as consistent and accurate as possible with terminology improves usability.

4 Likes

That message is used on more than invite-only sites and is generic enough to suit all cases.

Your message is not.

1 Like

I think it’s fine for people to customize it as they see fit. It was an important evolutionary step in Discourse when we allowed all text to be overridden.

5 Likes

Absolutely, I was responding to the suggestion that the change should go into core.

2 Likes

Hello all. I clearly do not agree that the dialog message, as it stands, is “generic enough to suit all cases”. Otherwise I wouldn’t have invested time in creating the original post. I now know that I can, as an admin, overwrite that text with something I prefer. But also, as a very part‑time admin of two discourse sites, I am a bit irritated that my efforts to offer a constructive suggestion were overridden in quite such a cavalier and unsupported manner by a senior tester. I am not used to that kind of response in the communities I normally work within. And I will certainly think twice about posting similar suggestions here in the future. For what it’s worth, I have already reported two bugs, one substantive, for discourse, both of which resulted in mainline fixes within 24 hours.

1 Like

You can click on link in “Make your invite a little bit more personal by writing a custom message.” Put whatever you want in there. But this has to be changed for each individual invite. A copy and paste works wonders here.

1 Like

@JimPas I did see and use that feature, thanks. This topic is mostly about the js.topic.invite_reply.to_forum field value.

2 Likes