"Invites are rate limited." What does this mean?

Help? New Discourse user here. Was experimenting with re-sending an invitation from a post to a few people I’d already invited but did not respond. The original invite list was uploaded. The re-invite is being done from the [Invite] link at the bottom of the specific post. That’s when the “Sorry,” error below is raised. Is this not allowed? Or, am I going about this the wrong way? Is there some other method/practice to accomplish what I’m after? I just want to send a person I invited a reminder. Thanks in advance for your assist here.

To avoid looking like spam, Discourse limits how many times you can annoy someone inviting them to join the community.

1 Like

Thanks, Jay. Do you know where I would find out what are Discourse’s parameters? Because I’ve only ever invited most of the folks on my list once.

Yes, but

You can see your invites at /my/invited/pending.

I think you can see others with the data explorer plugin.

Aha, now I see. Thanks. To re-invite, I must do it from the list of Pending invites, not from the topic’s invite link. Thanks for your help.

I don’t really know how it works, but I’m pretty sure that you shouldn’t be able to re-send those links until some time period is up either, though.

Understood. Actually however, it worked when I just tried using the re-invite control on the pending page, and the particular test email address was only initially invited four days ago. Will keep an eye on it. I wasn’t able to find much on the subject when searching the forum, so hope this is helpful to someone else.

2 Likes

Bumping this because I’ve come across the same issue as above, but I’m not sure this makes sense.

Invites to topics are rate limited (I’m trying to invite a group to a topic) but they don’t show up in the my/invited/pending list, which I assume is because that is for invitations to join the forum, not for existing members that you are simply inviting to the topic. Is that correct?

Is there currently a way to get around rate limiting when inviting a group to a topic?

1 Like

I’m running into this now, was there ever a resolution?

Only resolution is waiting afaik or impersonating a different account and sending invites from there.

Low priority @Osama can you add to your list improving the text in the OP so it explains what the actual rate limit is.

“Invites are rate limited, you may only invite a user every N minutes” something like that.

1 Like

I was trying to invite a user group to a topic for discussion. It was the first time I’ve used this feature, so no notifications had previously gone out.

I can workaround by upping the max users per group mention and @mention the group in the message, though group invite would be cleaner.

Rate limiting actually has nothing to do with this. The error is a red herring. Inviting groups doesn’t work (and never did). I thought that @techAPJ was going to remove groups from the invite drop-down to remove the ambiguity.

Note: I would still dearly love this to work. I frequently have the need to use it and it seems fairly fundamental.

4 Likes

Oh, ouch … yeah @Osama for now just remove the groups from there so you can not attempt to invite a group to a topic.

5 Likes

Ok, we’ll no longer suggest groups in autocomplete dropdown when inviting to a topic:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/6105

4 Likes

Hello

same problem.

We need to know if limit is :

• time between invites
  • numerous invites by user
  • global numerous of invites
  • numerous invites pending…
  • mail already invited…

Thanks for help