iOS app: viewing first forum erases notifications of second

Updated info:

Original report:

I use the iOS app.

I have 4 forums in it but mostly use the top 2.

Scenario:

1. Open app
  2. See there are new/unread notifications for all forum list items
  3. Tap first/top forum list item to visit it
  4. Read until no new/unread and go back to hub list using the down arrow toolbar icon
  5. Look at the second forum list item

Expected

• notifications should still be on second forum list item

Actual

• notifications disappear from first forum list item
  • (notifications are at the forum when you visit it)
  • third and fourth forum list items are unaffected

Workaround

• visit the second forum before the first
  • when you return to the hub list notifications will still be on first forum list item
4 Likes

I cannot reproduce this, but I am running a new (unpublished) beta of the app with a refactored home list. I will let you know when the new beta is available for testing.

5 Likes

Trying to reproduce this morning and can’t, but it happens regularly so my steps must be wrong. I’ll revise soon.

4 Likes

What I think is happening:

1. I use my pc to fully read the second forum
  2. later I use my phone hub app
  3. notification labels are out-of-date, showing unread posts on second forum
  4. for some reason they don’t refresh when I open the app
  5. I read the first forum
  6. when I return to hub list it is refreshed
  7. notification labels are now up-to-date, second forum has already been read

Does this make sense?

I haven’t renamed the thread as yet.

3 Likes

So the correct report would be “long delay or no notice of notifications refresh on app open” ?

3 Likes

Maybe, if somebody can reproduce this!

It seems to be related to notifications.

• I have a notification on forum 2
  • I read forum 1
  • back to list
  • forum 2 notification badge disappears
  • read forum 2
  • tap on my profile, there is the unread notification
3 Likes

I still cannot reproduce this. But the last line of your report is interesting:

So when you return to read forum 2, you do not, at first, see any notification indicator next to the profile picture? But once you tap that profile picture, then the unread notification is shown again?

2 Likes

Exactly, yes.

That’s correct.

1 Like

Ok, so this looks like a Discourse issue, the notification state in Discourse is out of sync. Do you know if the site in question is up to date?

When this happens, is the unread notification of a specific type? Or it happens on any type of notification (reply, like, mention, etc.)?

2 Likes

Forum 2 in the example this site!

So I assume it’s all up-to-date.

Notification is most often a like.

1 Like

Actually. I just checked my forums and my above info is incorrect

Forum 2 is a self hosted forum, so possibly not up-to-date. It’s an invite only forum for developers of an unreleased device. I can try to get you info or an invite.

Notification is usually a like.

1 Like

Thanks for double checking, it’s possible this will be fixed when that forum updates, that would be the first step to try and resolve this, I think.

2 Likes

Sure thing. I have no visibity or control over that. It’s been happening for a few months already at least.

It’s not a big deal, just a slight annoyance. I’ll keep an eye on it.

3 Likes

Old bug thread (June 2020) https://meta.discourse.org/t/ios-app-viewing-first-forum-erases-notifications-of-second/154329

I’m reopening this because it’s still happening and it’s been almost 3 years since it was first reported! Last time it was taken to DM but was never reproduced or resolved. I’ve clarified everything and made things more succinct in this new thread.

Problem
Disappearing unread notifications in iOS app. This is a regular annoyance, it is essentially lost data, and makes managing unread content prone to error.

Repro steps:

• iOS app
  • receive like notifications across two forums
  • read forum 1
  • back to list
  • like notification badge on forum 2 disappears!

Confirmation:

• (any non-like notification badges remain)
  • read forum 2
  • tap on my profile, the unread like notification are listed alongside any other notifications

Today:

• forum 1: one like notification badge
  • forum 2: one DM & two like notification badges

My experience:

• i read forum 1
  • then returned to the forum list
  • forum 2’s like notification badge disappeared
  • but when I look into the forum 2 notifications page the likes are still listed and marked as new/unread

Question:
Why would a refresh of the forum list remove like notifications for a forum that has not been opened, and whose topics have not been read, since the last refresh?

1 Like

ReducedRepro steps:

• iOS app
  • receive like notifications across two forums
  • pull to refresh
  • like notification badge on forum 2 disappears!

Confirmation:

• (any non-like notification badges remain)
  • read forum 2
  • tap on my profile, the unread like notification are listed alongside any other notifications

Result:

• data loss
1 Like

I’ve reopened the original one and moved your posts across to keep them grouped together @gingerbeardman :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks

The new notifications interface has revealed a bunch of stuff I’ve missed because of this bug.

The new notifications ui also reveals a new problem: tapping the sections with new badges about old stuff, there’s no way for me to see those things without scrolling through all the rest of my likes/replies?

Does it make sense to scrub the old comment in the op and direct it to the most up-to-date content, a few posts above this message?

1 Like

I’ve updated the OP with the latest repro steps. :+1:

2 Likes