Is it possible to show the full post content by default?

@simon

Is it possible to show the full post content by default, without clicking the “Show Full Post” Button ?

I asked this because some RSS feed, contain coding in their feed. It shows lots of unwanted content in the post.

But once user click on the “Show Full Post” Button, it show the embed contain nicely.

3 Likes

Yes, this can be done by deselecting the embed truncate site setting.

1 Like

I have tried disabling the “embed truncate” in post setting last few days, however it doesn’t give the same result as pressing the “Show Full Post” Button .

Here is a example:
https://hint-pot.jp/archives/category/hobby/feed

“Embed truncate” setting disable:

It display the text inside the RSS feed <content> tag.

“Embed truncate” setting enable:

Content after pressing “Show Full Post” Button:

It display the real web content following the whitelist rule.

1 Like

I was worried that might happen. When the Show Full Post button is clicked, Discourse scrapes the page content from the web page that is associated with the feed item. What you are seeing when the embed truncate setting is disabled it the result of the markup that comes directly from the RSS feed. It sounds like there is some broken markup in the RSS feed that is causing it to display in the way it is.

The easiest way to confirm this would be to visit the RSS feed URL directly with your browser and have a look at its markup. I think you would look for what falls between its <description> tags.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick reply. :grinning:
I have also tried another feed without strange markup.
Here is example from another feed:
https://grapee.jp/category/animal/feed

“Embed Truncate” Disable:

The broken image is a known problem caused by the <p> tag. It can be fix manually following the instruction from this post .
But the main problem is, it only show a very short description from the RSS feed, not the whole content from the web page.

“Embed Truncate” Enable:

It doesn’t show any content, other than the original source link.

“Show Full Post” Button Pressed:

It display the correct content from web page following the whitelist rule.

Do you think it is possible to show the full post content by default, without pressing the “Show Full Post” Button? :thinking:

Or do you think it is possible to let Discourse scrapes the page content from the web page that is associated with the feed item all the time? :thinking:

That feed is only supplying an excerpt of the full post. That is why you only see an excerpt when the embed truncate setting is disabled.

When you do select the embed truncate site setting, Discourse will attempt to pull the full post content from the post’s URL. If the post has broken HTML, Discourse will not be able to pull in the post content. In those cases, clicking the “Show Full Post” button will not pull in the post. When this happens, the user does not receive an error message telling them what the problem is. Possibly an error message should be displayed for this case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.