Kernel needs upgrading but that's not an option right now

I am in charge of support for a legacy forum. Once a year SSL certificates need upgrading and I follow a recipe that was handed to me by the previous admin.
The last step is ./launcher rebuild app
This year it downloaded the newest version but then complained about Kernel
x86_64 arch detected.
ERROR: Kernel version 3.10.0-957.27.2.el7.x86_64 not supported, please upgrade to at least 4.4.0

The Kernel upgrade is not an option for now.

I have attempted to set the forum version to the one we are currently running (bye bye upgrades!) by editing app.yml and setting the version line (also uncommenting it)
version: 2.9.0.beta7

This time it did not attempt to download that specific version and I still get the kernel complain.

How can I go back to before my first attempt? I’m guessing I need to switch the head in the git folder, but so far I have been unable to figure out where the repo is kept on disk.

1 Like

Found this thread : kernel-version-upgrade-required-when-manually-updating-discourse
I will attempt to bypass the check and hope for the best. However my question as to how to revert is still valid.

1 Like

If you only need to update the SSL certificate you don’t need a rebuild. Update the files and restart the nginx from inside the container, or just restart the container.