Keyboard shortcut for closing a topic

Is there a keyboard shortcut to close a topic?

3 Likes

No there is no such short cut, I think it makes sense to add a keyboard shortcut that opens the admin wrench, and then a second key like c could close a topic.

Going to mark this as a feature request.

Step 0 is figuring out what we want the shortcut to be for opening admin topic wrench.

14 Likes

Are there shortcuts not listed on the shortcut help modal?

Hey look, I can copy it!

Jump To

• g, h Home
  • g, l Latest
  • g, n New
  • g, u Unread
  • g, c Categories
  • g, t Top
  • g, b Bookmarks
  • g, p Profile
  • g, m Messages
  • g, d Drafts

Navigation

• u Back
  • # Go to post #
  • k/j Move selection ↑ ↓
  • o or Enter Open selected topic
  • Shift+j/Shift+k Next/previous section
  • Shift+l Go to the first unread post

Application

• = Open hamburger menu
  • p Open user menu
  • . Show updated topics
  • / or Ctrl+Alt+f Search
  • ? Open keyboard help
  • x, r Dismiss New/Posts
  • x, t Dismiss Topics
  • Shift+z Shift+z Log Out

Composing

• Shift+c Return to composer
  • Shift+F11 Fullscreen composer
  • c Create a new topic
  • t Reply as linked topic
  • Shift+r Reply to topic
  • r Reply to post
  • q Quote post

Actions

• f Toggle bookmark topic
  • Shift+p Pin/Unpin topic
  • Shift+s Share topic
  • s Share post
  • l Like post
  • ! Flag post
  • b Bookmark post
  • e Edit post
  • d Delete post
  • m, m Mute topic
  • m, r Regular (default) topic
  • m, t Track topic
  • m, w Watch topic
  • Shift+u Defer topic
  • Ctrl+p Print topic

Aside from those, are any other reserved?

Also, I notice my keyboard is missing a wrench key (:wrench:), so my first choice is out. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I suggest Shift + a for opening the admin wrench.

5 Likes

I like Shift + a for opening the admin wrench. Can I work on it by opening a PR in GitHub? @sam

1 Like

Yeah I think you can give it a shot in a PR the tricky thing though is that you need to be able to select stuff using the keyboard once it is open.

How do you foresee that working?

3 Likes

What about if once the admin wrench is open, navigate through it using the Up and Down keys? Then hitting Enter to select the option. I don’t know if this is possible, but just like an idea…

5 Likes

I support this if you can swing it, we do it on search, highlighting the selected button though may be a bit tricky, can you give it a shot and post a screenshot ?

3 Likes

Sure, I let you know when a I have something.

5 Likes

I have been having some trouble understanding ember.js, I have never worked with it before. I did this PR that only opens the topic admin menu, I hope this helps. If someone could help me with the other part, it will be greatly appreciated.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/8568

5 Likes

Shift+a is working. But the arrow keys do not work inside the menu. Would love to have shortcuts for some of tasks like Close, timers, etc.

On that note - is there a different way to add my personal keyboard shortcuts for a sequence of UI clicks? Maybe a chrome extension?

1 Like

Update: Dug a bit in the code. Close topic shortcut can be very similar to the pinUnpinTopic and deferTopic shortcuts. Simply call toggleClosed on the topic class.

pinUnpinTopic() {
    this.container.lookup("controller:topic").togglePinnedState();
  },

@hectorbus - is this something you could put in? How about Shift+c for close? I would have done it myself - not setup for github and coding right now though.

1 Like

I believe that the arrow keys feature was never implemented, I tried to work on it but I wasn’t successful. Regarding to the personal keyboard shortcut, I’m not sure if there is a way to build that chrome extension, you could give it a try; also, a new PR can be made with that new keyboard shortcut, as long the code and functionality is approved.

1 Like

Let me check out the code and see if the toggleClosed would work, I don’t see why not.

1 Like