Labelling group inboxes with group full names

I’d like to suggest an improvement to the messages inbox…

It would be great if we could show (i.e. prioritise or even only show) the group full names in the messages inbox (rather than the @groupnames).

This is an example of how it looks right now …

As you can see, the menu items are not natural-language and difficult to read.

Labelling the group inboxes using the @groupname is far from ideal, since the @groupnames allow-no-spaces and are all-lower-case. As you can see from this example, it’s not often helped by the first letter being automatically capitalised without regard to what capitals there are in the remainder (which is what the full name would capture.) In fact, using the @groupname only works if it’s a single word (not the case in most of our groups.)

Showing the group full names would be much user-friendlier…

Thanks in advance for considering this.

4 Likes

We use group name in messages inbox because of the space constraint in sidebar. We need to think about that before replacing group name with full name.

2 Likes

@techAPJ thanks understood!

It seems that this is a labelling problem specific to group inboxes - groupnames can be shorter than fullnames (if you choose them to be), but they do have strange formatting restrictions for the group inbox labels.

I wonder if I could suggest a solution, there could be a third name field for groups - a “group inbox name”. If this isn’t set then the group inboxes could default back to the groupname

1 Like