Levels and Staff roles

I feel there must be a doc somewhere I’m missing but I’m stumped so asking here

I want to get my head around levels - what are the choices to be made around levels. What are the categories of permissions controlled by levels.

As well as

Staff roles - what do the roles give Staff permission to do. And how do these permissions intersect with the permissions controlled by the user’s level.

Thank you!

1 Like

Check Understanding user statuses, roles, and permissions

Check Understanding Discourse Trust Levels

3 Likes

This is PERFECT thank you. My takeaway is that while there are some global permissions that Moderators get, some permissions still require a particular trust level.

So a L1 Moderator…

• Immune to rate limits
  • Can process flags and posts held in the moderation queue
  • Can delete topics and posts, split topics, merge topics, hide topics and so on.
  • Can view user info including email address
  • Can suspend, silence, anonymize and delete users
  • Can adjust a user’s trust level

But can’t

• Edit their own posts for up to 30 days after posting (L2 permission)
  • Recategorize and rename topics (L3 permission)

Correct?

Nope, staff permissions should trump the TL, so moderators can edit and rename.

4 Likes

Are there more options to adjust the trust level progression? I’m doing an audit and these are the only two criteria I can adjust that and after doing an audit there are a lot of users that have been apparently granted T1 that haven’t created 5 posts, read 30, or read for over ten minutes as stated in this article

Overall, I’m trying to have more control over the trust level progression and trying to understand why some are being elevated to T1 without any activity for the three above requirements.

Thanks everyone,
Jesse

I’m not aware of any bugs with the TL1 feature. Is this on a new site that is in bootstrap mode? In bootstrap mode, as the staff banner says at the top of the page, the first 50 users will be granted TL1 automatically.

1 Like

We’re past bootstrap mode, and that probably is it, as several I saw were early sign-ups. I appreciate the reminder.

Aside from that we are having trouble with the tier thresholds. It would be nice being able to modify T2 like the T1 edits currently available.

Thanks for the help,
Jesse

2 Likes

Are you asking about setting thresholds for achieving trust level 2? If so, you can do that. From your site settings page, enter tl2 requires into the setting’s search box to see the settings that can be modified. Enter tl3 requires into the setting’s search box to see the trust level 3 requirements that can be modified.

For the trust level 1 settings you listed, there is also a tl1 requires time spent mins setting that can be modified. It defaults to 10 minutes.

3 Likes

Thanks, Simon. Before I could only see TL1 modification options when searching “Trust Level”. Searching by TL1, 2, 3 ect. gives me exactly what I need.

2 Likes