(Retired) Link username to external profile

Let’s say you want to add a link of User’s main profile page on Discourse user profile page and user card, clicking on that link will take user to main (external) website.

The link of main website user profile page will be like:

http://site.com/username

Where username is the Discourse username of that user. (It should be same on both main site and Discourse forum)

Let’s get started!

Add custom CSS

Paste this CSS code in Admin > Customize > CSS/HTML > CSS section:

#user-card .metadata h3 {
  float: left;
}

h3.user-card-public-field {
 clear: both;   
}

Add custom JS

Paste this JS code in Admin > Customize > CSS/HTML > </head> section:

<script type="text/discourse-plugin" version="0.8.7">
    api.registerConnectorClass('user-profile-primary', 'site-link', {
      setupComponent(args, component) {
        component.set('siteLink', args.model.get('siteLink'));
      }
    });

api.registerConnectorClass('user-card-metadata', 'site-link', {
      setupComponent(args, component) {
        component.set('siteLink', args.user.get('siteLink'));
      }
    });

api.modifyClass('model:user', {
      siteLink: function() {
          const username = this.get('username');

if (username) {
              const url = `http://site.com/${username}`;
              const link = `<a href=${url} target='_blank'>${url}</a>`;

return Ember.Object.create({ link, name: "User Profile" });
          } else {
              return null;
          }
      }.property('username')
    });
</script>

<script type='text/x-handlebars' data-template-name='/connectors/user-profile-primary/site-link'>
  {{#if siteLink}}
    <div class="public-user-fields">
      <div class="public-user-field">
        <span class="user-field-name">{{siteLink.name}}</span>:
        <span class="user-field-value">{{{siteLink.link}}}</span>
      </div>
    </div>
  {{/if}}
</script>

<script type='text/x-handlebars' data-template-name='/connectors/user-card-metadata/site-link'>
  {{#if siteLink}}
    <h3 class="user-card-public-field">
      <span class="user-field-name">{{siteLink.name}}</span>:
      <span class="user-field-value">{{{siteLink.link}}}</span>
    </h3>
  {{/if}}
</script>

Update:

const url = `http://site.com/${username}`;

with your website user profile link.

Voilà :tada:

That’s it, you will now see user Profile link on user profile page:

and user card:

Related: (Retired) Use an ID in a custom user field to link to a user's external profile

13 Likes

Works like a charm. Thanks for adding this guide @techAPJ

3 Likes

@pblog, (or someone) could you please add an screenshot for final result?

1 Like

Okay, added images in OP.

3 Likes

Dear Arpit, does this approach really update userfield siteLink?
We used it “as is” and siteLink in empty under user/preferences siteLink although it is visible over user card
thx

You mean user “Web Site”, right?

No, the code in first post does not update user Website field. It just adds a link of main/external user profile on user page and user card.

Sorry for the newbie question, but could someone post example code for if external_id was used as opposed to username?

I have single sign on enabled, and it shows the proper External ID at the bottom of the admin interface of the user account.

Any chance this example could get an update? Apparently it will not work, since api.container.lookupFactory is a private API and will break stuff :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I asked the same a long time ago. You’d have to write a plugin that exposes external_id - I asked recently if it had become enabled, since they changed a lot of stuff, but haven’t received an answer, so I guess it still requires a plugin…

Okay, I updated the code in first post to use api.modifyClass instead of api.container.lookupFactory.

5 Likes

@techAPJ, this code is great. I want to make one small tweak and perhaps you know… how can I get the external_id at the end of the URL (i.e. const url = 'http://site.com/${external_id}')? I tried changing the code to pull external_id from the user object but it says that property is undefined.

This code is deprecated, can you update it please? I tried to tweak it but it didn’t work.

[Admin Notice] One or more of your plugins or theme components needs to be updated because it is incompatible with Discourse 3.2.
More information can be found in the Communiteq knowledge base.
Details: [THEME 1 ‘Default’] Function prototype extensions have been deprecated, please migrate from function(){}.property(‘bar’) to computed(‘bar’, function() {}).

It looks like this is very similar to another guide. As with that one, the strategies suggested in the OP are extremely out-of-date. The best thing going forward is going to be to build the functionality into a git-managed theme component, so that people don’t need to copy/paste code.

We’re looking at whether we can create an official theme-component to cover both use cases, and will update both the topics if/when that’s ready.

1 Like