Missing notification icon for the discourse-reaction plugin

Hi,

I’ve upgraded discourse-reactions to commit 6b0ee89 after updating to Discourse 2.7.5 yesterday, and since then the icons that go with user notifications are not being displayed anymore. Pointers as to what might be causing this or how to remedy it would be greatly appreciated :pray:

discourse-reactions-icons-gone

Hi

For a start can you update to the latest 2.8.0 beta 2 and see if that helps?

Thanks

3 Likes

I think I’ve had a similar issue but with the like icon and it was because I was using the theme component Change the Like icon to 👍
:thinking: what do you have there https://your.domain/admin/site_settings/category/discourse_reactions ?
Do you see a 404 in the network tab of your console ?

1 Like

Thanks, Benjamin. The options page for discourse-reaction looked normal (and the emoji-icon was properly displayed on the add-emoji-button, if that’s what you were after). No 404 errors in my network console.

Here’s what I was able to do:

• Imported a backup from my production site (running v2.7.5) to a testing system, on an instance running v2.7.8 beta2 (commit fc61a7c0) and following the tests-passed Git revision. At that point, the discourse-reaction notification icon would still be displayed.
  • Upgraded docker_manager (from 6ee74ee91bf85a) : icon is still displayed.
  • Upgraded discourse-reactions (from e53e8136b0ee89 : icon is no longer displayed.
  • Upgraded Discourse (from 2.8.0.beta2 fc61a7c0de → 2.8.0.beta2 800c6e1a) : icon is displayed again.

So it seems that newer versions of discourse-reactions are dependent upon changes implemented in the 2.8.0 branch, yet these newer versions are still made available for upgrade on sites that follow the stable branch.

Having looked at commit logs, I’m thinking that discourse-reactions’s fdb0cab is what’s causing my issue.

What would be the less complicated way to downgrade this plugin to a prior version?

1 Like

Hum… I’d say fork it and

1 Like

Thanks for pointing me there, @Benjamin_D! It led me to this thread: Do plugins have stable versions? - #3 by RGJ. As it turned out, I didn’t even need to fork the discourse-reactions plugin, because that work has already been done by Communiteq. I only had to change the relevant line in my container’s YML file and rebuild it; now my emoji-icon / discourse-emojis icons are back. What a great, flexible system!

1 Like

This was my bad, I have added a .discourse-compatibility file to the plugin, so it should work on stable now using the main plugin repo (and should update automatically when the next stable version is released).

3 Likes