More formatting bugs with font size refactor

Hello! A few days ago, me and @JonnyGamer submitted a bug report regarding “topic nuking”. Discourse fixed this really fast, but now, there are a few more bugs that @JonnyGamer and some others has found at forum.gethopscotch.com.

Firstly, I have no idea whether these bugs are because of the configuration as I don’t are an admin, and if this isn’t a general software bug, you could just close the topic, I don’t mind.

The first bug can happen if you repeat the code (any letter)<big><small><sub>. This will cause posts to break like in this example topic:
https://forum.gethopscotch.com/t/test-topic-nukes-and-spamlikes-watch-this-jonny-gamer/40314/15?u=william04gamera

The second bug kind of breaks the tag system. I’ll quote @JonnyGamer’s “bug report”:

@JonnyGamer:
When writing tags for your topic, write one of them as: ﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽
﷽ is the widest unicode character that fits into the forum. And since you are only allowed to have a tag be at max 20 characters, “﷽” is the widest for this form.

He also included a screenshot:

Once again, all credit goes to @JonnyGamer and anyone else involved in finding these bugs.

These are the bugs I consider as the most important ones, but there are a few more reported here:
https://forum.gethopscotch.com/t/official-guide-to-breaking-the-forum-keep-in-lounge-because-yall-regulars-are-trustworthy/40312?u=william04gamera
Some bugs that I didn’t write about here that are in the topic above are due to configuration bugs in the forum itself, like the fact that words starting with f and ending with k are getting censored.

To reach the topic above, you have to be Regular on The Hopscotch Forum. I think that @techAPJ already have a leader account there, so he/she might be able to see and get more information about those bugs.

I hope that you at Discourse can fix this!

2 Likes

Awesome topic! Thanks!

Yeah, we are learning of new bugs/glitches each day! Here is something else that I found interesting:

K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌

2 Likes

Quoting gets really wonky, too :/

2 Likes

Last bug of all with this interesting idea:

When you add an <s> before the text, you get these weird bars in between each slashed word:

K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌 K👌

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting these, the tag name exploit was definitely the worst one because it broke the page layout for everyone. I also fixed some of the issues with the big/small/sup/sub tags, so once Discourse is updated those won’t cause any more problems.

7 Likes

This one is not a bug. <s> is intended to create a strikethrough - a line through the words. It’s typically used to clearly show that something has been changed, like a tyop typo.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/s

2 Likes

Okay - that’s great! Thank you for fixing those bugs!

1 Like

Ok, thank you!
You might have seen this post after they fixed the bug. It originally looked like this:

There are weird bars in between of each slashed “k :ok_hand:

2 Likes

That’s not too weird: there’s a space between each “k :ok_hand:”, and the <s> creates a strikethrough, so the bar is a strikethrough on a space. And since the space is outside of the <sub> tags, the space is higher than the text that comes after it.

3 Likes

Ah, ok, that makes sense (Still kid of weirded me out when I saw it first :joy:)

2 Likes

Found another weird bug:

• ksksksksksksksk
  • :black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square:
  • jajajajkajak

Hmmm, on the discourse, it is a-ok

2 Likes

Testing:

2 Likes

Even weirder:

3 Likes

By the way: I’ve noticed that someone changed the tag style inside text fields. I really don’t like it. The old style has more white space on top and bottom. On the right and left side, I’m missing a little bit of grey space. It’s very irritating if tags are displayed on different ways :wink:

Sometimes I wish, there are more settings / style options for tags :wink:

Update: Here is a second issue at the category page with the bullet point style:

4 Likes

Apparently this regression only happened recently. I upgrade to latest version and it starts showing up.

4 Likes

Right, this is actually unrelated to font changes. It turns out that tags had no max-width restrictions, which allowed someone to break the layout of pages by making tags with characters like: ﷽. Now tags that are too long are truncated with CSS, and adding the ability to truncate caused some alignment changes.

@terraboss @schungx I’ll take a look at the bullet/box tag styles now and make sure those alignment issues are fixed.

8 Likes

I found another bug with font sizes <sub>, but I ask you not to fix it because it’s really cool. With this glitch, you are able to overlap characters to create some interesting designs:

Now you can make little guys:

O
°°
- -
, ,

( • •
(OO)

^^

(..
^ )

I personally think it’s really cool, but it also allows weird stuff like this:

Hello hello hello
Test test test test

Thanks!

6 Likes

@awesomerobot is there anything else we need to do here? or should we close?

1 Like

This is all set. The remaining items are weird things to do that really only break your own text.

4 Likes