Topic nuking - A serious glitch

Hello! I am the member if a forum called “The Hopscotch Forum” which you can find at www.forum.gethopscotch.com. One of the users over there found a method to “glitch” topics, making the end unreachable and in some cases, it caused the website to crash and the browser to reload. From what I understand, this is caused by using <big> tags over and over again, repeatedly until the text get so big that the topic freezes.

Right now, I have notified the admins, but I think that this is a software bug. I am not an admin, but I want to notify you guys at Discourse about this. For more information, you could ask the people who discovered this on our forum and also check this topics for reference (WARNING: it is nuked and might cause glitches):

Try to use the “scroll bar”/“jump to post bar” to get to the bottom. It won’t work.

Edit: I just wanted to say thank you do Discourse for solving this issue really fast :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Year, this is a really bad bug

It should be an easy fix, just limit the size of the text
There is a limit for the small text

6 Likes

Thanks for the bug report. I am pushing a fix soon.

5 Likes

Fixed via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/104859af47910e4ad555308d62ea2c52b92a5ce4

The fix will be deployed on Hopscotch forum soon.

8 Likes

Thanks for the report @JonnyGamer and @William04GamerA!

6 Likes

@awesomerobot can you revise the fix so it is REM based? (we need this for large font)

We can also maybe have big big or something like that so we can support say a fixed number of 3 levels?

6 Likes

I would like to spend as little time on this as possible.

3 Likes

As little as possible is simply changing those px values to REM. I can try at it.

EDIT, did something minimal here

5 Likes