Multiple use invites to existing users

It seems a few things got jumbled in together here in recent replies to this topic. The invite system is a fairly complex beast, despite our efforts to make it simpler! We have wanted to let it lie for a while and to see how site owners like it and their feedback.

Seems some useful feedback is trickling in here on a few distinct issues. Thanks @gassim for highlighting some issues, and thanks @JammyDodger for doing some testing! It’s always helpful. I’d recommend we discuss them further as needed in separate topics devoted to each issue. I don’t recommend adding more replies here because they will be automatically deleted.

1. I’m curious to understand why the password is not required when accepting an invitation. This introduces a bunch of required UI that just makes things more complicated. There is a topic on this issue here: Invites account creation screen shows password as "optional"

2. In my own testing, I see that the “invite to topic” flow does not seem to be working as designed any more - maybe there was a regression. Needs more exploration, but it seems that the new user does not land in the topic but on the homepage, after creating their new account and confirming their email address and so on. The user is still correctly added to any groups specified in the invite. I started a new #bug topic: Invite links to topic send user to home page, not to topic.

3. The topic @osioke linked to about multiple use invite links is outdated, now that we’ve made changes to the invite system. I added a note there to discuss what to do about that topic. This FAQ is the best place to start to get answers about how to use the invite system. The defaults are good, but as Osioke very correctly suggests, site owners can change admin settings to customize it according to their specific needs. If you do that, definitely test it out using test users to make sure you are happy with the changes you make.

4. The number of times an invite has been redeemed is indicated on the pending invites list. Once the limit is reached, it moves to the expired tab. So you’ll want to keep an eye on that list.

5. @gassim can you explain why you have set up your site to be invite only if you want to allow an infinite number of people to join? Why is your site not set up to accept new member signups? What is your use case? Please start a new topic to explain so we can help you better.

3 Likes