Muted categories appear in Categories page

(Vinoth Kannan) #1

I muted two categories and it still appear on top of the categories page (since it have recent activity). Shouldn’t it be hidden or at the bottom? It’s more annoying when I use categories as home page. And “categories with featured topics” option even showing me muted category’s topics too. Also is it better to order categories by notification_level and then activity.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Yes we should fix this in some manner cc @sam.

(Vinoth Kannan) #3

May I create PR to exclude muted categories from categories.json?

(Régis Hanol) #4

Of course, but don’t “exclude” them, mark then as “muted” instead.

(Vinoth Kannan) #5

In categories.json it already have notification_level=0 property. If we excluded it will not display in all categories listing locations (like categories page, composer dropdown, filter dropdown, etc.,). Or we have to manually hide it or order it to the bottom position in all locations.

(Régis Hanol) #6

You can’t remove categories from categories.json, otherwise they’ll never appear anywhere if you mute them.

I would start with ensuring we respect the notification_level=0 for the /categories page first.
Then I would deal with the dropdowns and such.

(Vinoth Kannan) #7

I thought it shouldn’t appear anywhere except user’s preferences page setting muted categories. If it will affect site’s functionality let’s do manually.

(Régis Hanol) #8

categories.json” is the source of truth for categories. So if you remove them, they’ll never appear anywhere :wink: