"New thread" button covers chat input area

The “new thread” button in the lower right corner covers the chat input window with “Material Design Theme” as default. It would be better if the position of this button is movable or its position can be fixed somehow:

screenshot_20240805_155206

1 Like

You can set the z-index value of this button to be displayed below the chat window, which will use CSS

Thanks for this hint, but I dont know where to set this. A manual change of the local css would not survive the next update, I guess …

Please send me a private message with your website link, and I will find your button element through the browser and send it to you after modifying the css, because I don’t have this theme of yours installed

Hi,

I’ll need some more info here.

The title says “new topic” button, but the OP says “new thread” button.
I’ve just enabled material design for myself, and on meta (with latest version of the theme), there are no floating buttons I can see.

Can you show a larger screenshot (full screen) and add what version of Discourse and the theme you are on, as well as what device and browser version?

Or share the link of the forum where you encounter this.

Cheers

That’s because I edited the title :raising_hand_woman: I thought it would be helpful to replace thread with the correct translation for “Thema”

I also see a “new topic” button at the theme creator preview. But chat is not enabled there, so I cannot check with an open chat drawer

1 Like

Oh it’s on desktop, I wasn’t able to tell from the cropped screenshot.

Thanks @Moin I can work with that

1 Like

@chapoi : my fault, I meant “thread”. Enclosed is a screencast showing the effect. Best thing would be if users are able to move this button to the desired position. This may be a bit tricky for the different screne sizes from mobile up to “big desktop”. In my case its a multi-screen setup with 2 x 1920 x 1200

1 Like

As you can see in my screenshot, the English word is “topic”. That’s why I changed it in the title. “Thread” is used for subdiscussions in chats, “topic” for the things you post in categories.
Du kannst in meinem Screenshot sehen, dass es im Englischen “topic” heißt. Deshalb habe ich das im Titel geändert. “Thread” wird für die Unterteilung von Chats in Unterdiskussionen verwendet, “topic/Thema” für das, was man in Kategorien veröffentlicht.

1 Like

Making the button draggable to a desired position is not something that’s easily done and beyond the scope of a bugfix.

I’ve merged a PR that addresses the issue by adjusting the z-index and added a few tweaks to make the positioning a tiny bit smarter. That should fix the problem.

Thanks for the report!

2 Likes

yep, from my side thats absolutely OK. I understand that a draggable button is a bit more complicate, so “draggable” is “nice to have”, but not essential.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 37 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.