New users aren't starting the discobot tutorial

The advanced tutorial seems to be hidden… The only way to start it is to PM discobot:

@discobot start advanced user

Currently, this command isn’t listed on @discobot display help

I’m guessing it’s not completely done yet.

1 Like

@discobot display help

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user, advanced user.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

2 Likes

Is the command not shown on your site?

2 Likes

Oh… my bad… I guess you can start both tutorials with the same command.

It’s really subtle. I’ve looked and not been able to find it when I knew it was there.

I think it’d be cool if the first one told you how to start it when you completed it (like on the certificate page). Also, the Badge for the advanced one could include instructions to start it.

Its very cool work that you did on that tutorial, @tgxworld, and a shame that so few people get to see it.

3 Likes

Advanced wasn’t that much work, just getting the basic interactive tutorial going was by far the bulk of the work.

I understand that. It’s still awesome, though, and it would be cool if more people could figure out how to do it.

1 Like

To be clear: Would something like adding the sentence below to the basic certificate page be a #pr-welcome task?

Eager to learn more tips? Just reply to this message with @discobot start advanced user.

2 Likes

Maybe if the site owner has not disabled that functionality.

A user on our site just made this specific feature request as well, /cc @downey

1 Like

Works fine for me :slight_smile:

Is it possible to still have the discobot send a private message when a new user logins in for the first time without having it darken the rest of the screen? My fear is that the discobot is actually driving users away immediately because they may feel like it’s confusing or a requirement.

At the completion of the initial tutorial I really think there should be an extra line in that block of text stating something along the lines of

If you want to keep going right away, just say ‘start advanced user’

There is some really good information in the advanced track and it would be a shame if people miss out on it just because they don’t realize it’s there.

9 Likes

Is there a way to rename the DISCOBOT?

Yes, you can rename the bot via the admin users tab or on the bot’s user profile.

3 Likes

The other tweak that would help is making it truly one click, or adding text into the URL to explain to the green user that they must hit the ‘Message’ button. For example:

* [Start Basic Tutorial](/new-message?username=discobot&title=Discobot%20Tutorial&body=%40discobot%20start%20tutorial%0A%0AHit%20the%20%27Message%27%20button%20below%20to%20launch%20the%20basic%20tutorial%20with%20our%20chatbot.)
2 Likes

I have just discovered @discobot and i have been on here for months

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Amanda_Drake :slight_smile:

Looking at your stats it seems you joined about 15 minutes ago and Discobot has already sent you a PM to offer his greetings and make his presence known. :rocket:

Good luck with the tutorial. :crossed_fingers: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes but i didnt see the invite till just now … i have been on woot since aug or sep

2 Likes