Not receiving push or browser notifications?

Continuing the discussion from Introducing Discourse Chat (BETA)

Awesome stuff!

Just a quick question →
How does notification work? I’m trying this here and I do see the notificaition dots but not getting anything via web or mobile …?

Also, is there a way to get emails or “digest” style for chat of specific channels?

2 Likes

I answered in the Chat Feedback Channel, but I can’t pass up the opportunity to show off the swish Quote to Topic feature… :slight_smile:

Originally sent in chat feedback
JammyDodger

There are some extra options in your Preferences/Chat page that may be of use?

And the Chat Channel settings tab has a few more:

3 Likes

Thanks! I still can’t figure it out though. I seem to only get notifications within discourse, but not browser notifications or push on mobile. Strange!

1 Like

I’ve split this out into its own #support topic so we can go into a bit more detail about your specifics. :+1:

Are you receiving push notifications and emails for your other onsite notifications? And is this here on Meta, or on your own site?

2 Likes

Thanks @JammyDodger .

I am pretty sure I’m receiving web notif, or at least I have in the past…?
It’s enabled, though I didn’t get your reply here - only via email. Strange.

1 Like

I think they’re browser dependent, if that’s any help?

1 Like

Didn’t get that one either. Strange! testing on both Safari and Chrome. :confused:

1 Like

Hmm, this is puzzler. :thinking: If it’s no push notifications across chat or regular topics we should perhaps amend the topic title and see if anyone else is experiencing it.

I’ll add a @Discourse mention in and see if that sends me one to my other browser as a control experiment. :crossed_fingers:

Update: I received that one (Windows/Chrome)

3 Likes

I have not received any push notifications from chat either (didn’t even know it was a feature!) but I regularly receive push notifications for everything else. I did receive an email notification for the first time yesterday which is awesome.

4 Likes

Yes, email seems to work. Other stuff does not :frowning:

2 Likes

Are any of you still running into issues with this? Apart from the two setting pages Jammy mentioned here, I can’t think of anything except to confirm that the per-device Live Notifications option is enabled:

3 Likes

I’m still not receiving notifications with Live notification turned on…

4 Likes

Improving notifications is one of our few big focus for the next months. I don’t have much better answer for now, but hopefully we will improve it rather soon. It’s definitely on our roadmap and a shared concern.

10 Likes

same problem here
I don’t receive notifications

sorry
I forgot to set “push notification time window mins”
have to wait 10 minutes
there was no problem

3 Likes

When it comes to personal chats (not rooms) with the below settings, I still don’t get any push notifications about the initiation of a chat. By contrast, I do get push notifications for replies in threads, and I do get a notification about the new chat by email. Just no push notification about the new chat. Neither through web push nor through Pushover. Hope this helps you guys narrow down the issue.

I’m running 3.1.0.beta1 self-hosted.

3 Likes

Thanks for adding Chat to discourse. It’s allowed us to move all our company internal comms in to a single place, but one issue we’re struggling with is notifications.

There’s channels where I want a desktop notification for every message that comes in if I’m not looking at that channel currently.

The mobile notifications mostly seem to work, but I cannot get desktop notifications to work reliably. Very occasionally I will get a desktop notification, but more often than not they don’t come through.

I’m using Ubuntu 20.04 with Chrome, but most of the company are using Windows 10 with Chrome and have the same issues.

Any ideas what we’re missing?

1 Like

Sorry this might be a duplicate of

Seems to have similar symptoms to us.

1 Like

Yes, it seems to be the same thing. The state is:

I’ll merge your message into the existing topic in case there is any relevant additional information in it, and let you receive notifications if there’s an update on this topic :slight_smile:

I did improve part of it last week. It’s for sure working better, but still much less reliable on production than on my local dev env, I’m not sure yet why. I will investigate more soon.

5 Likes