Notify administrators of new settings on upgrade

It would be nice if there were a mechanism that notified the admin of new settings when they appear. I would like to have known sooner about tl3 time period. I usually at least scan the commits in github, but lots of admins surely don’t.

When you do an upgrade in Moodle, it makes you take a look at new settings so that you can see that they are how you like them.

Such a mechanism could be handy for users too when their settings change. For example, if there were such a mechanism in place when the like settings changed recently people could be directed to check them out when they next visited.

8 Likes

I agree with this - I am just going through the admin settings now and realizing I’ve missed a bunch of them. I’ve raised it before.

Maybe it could be handled by adding a filter next to “Only show overridden”, e.g. “Only show new”.

1 Like

It’s not clear (to me) that there is currently a “new” flag, and the definition of “new” seems troublesome.

Having a “only show not overriden” seems easy to implement and could at least call your attention to things that you hadn’t fussed with. Such a setting would enable an admin who wanted to to change things trivially (e.g., 100 days becomes 99) such that they could always use that search to find things they hadn’t seen.

1 Like

I second that request. I even mentioned something like that before, but I guess it got buried in another topic (my fault).

1 Like

I don’t support this, it would be trivia at best. The release notes for each new version should cover (most) significant additions.

1 Like

True, but most of us are running a constantly updated beta, so waiting e.g. for 1.5 release to have an overview of new settings means months of delay (granted, actively following Meta is the best way of keeping up to date).

2 Likes