OpenID connect plugin

Hi,

We have installed the plugin to use openID connect in discourse.
We have configured the plugin and it seems te work.

What’s not clear to us is dat the identity provider exchanges the email addresses with us but we cannot see what exactly is done with that information?

For example, when a new user passes via the openID connect login screen, he/she is prompted with a screen to create a new user. Normally we would expect that the email address is automatically filled in with the email that we get from the identity provider. This is not the case.

Could you help us out ?

Thanks

It sounds like the email address isn’t reaching Discourse correctly. Have you tried enabling the ‘verbose logging’ setting, and checking the logs for more info?

Some providers require you to add certain permissions/scopes before they will pass the email address

1 Like

Hi David,

Thanks. I have enabled the logging and we will retest.

Another question. Now we have to click on “connect with openID connect” and this points us to the login page.
Is there a way to redirect the user directly to that openID connect login page when he / she is surfing to the homepage of our forum ?
Can I do this in the admin console ?

Thanks !

To skip this, you should disable the ‘enable local logins’ option in the admin panel.

If you want to force people to log in, you can turn on the login required setting. Then, they will be redirected to login automatically when visiting the site.

1 Like

Hi David,

Thanks for the support !

An additional question: can I also configure discourse so that admins have an alternative way to log in so that the admin is not locked out of the forum when the standard log in procedure fails ?

1 Like

Admins can bypass the regular login system by heading to /u/admin-login

2 Likes