Post notices for first-time and returning users

The first translation is ok…ish. But the second? Not really, is male-focused: activ vs activă. :slight_smile:

How can we ignore or hide this call-out for certain categories?

Each category is wrapped with its own class, so something like this:

.category-feature-announcements { // Hides it in Feature > Announcements
  .post-notice {
   display: none; 
 }
}
[class*="category-feature"] { // Hides it in Feature and all of its subcategories
  .post-notice {
   display: none; 
 }
}

[class*="category-feature"] is a wildcard attribute selector if anyone is wondering (so it matches anything containing category-feature; it also covers category-feature-example, which is how subcategories are structured). More on attribute selectors.

11 Likes

This has been a fantastic addition to our community, it really encourages people to welcome new members. I would actually like to see this extended a bit so it’s not just their first post. I’d like to see the first post notification stay the same, but then for the next ‘x’ number of posts it still shows a similar banner that they are new to the community since not everyone is going to see their first post, and anyone that did see that first post and welcomed them will likely remember that and not welcome them again.

1 Like

Something is not quite right with those notes. On one of my instances a post from a user who I know has never posted in the forum at all received a notice

It’s been a while since we’ve seen *** name redacted *** — their last post was nov '18. It turned out that he had written a PM in November.

I’d like to suggest that PMs are not treated as “previous posts” in this feature.

On another instance, a PM that I received from someone who never posted on the forum and who - I believe - hasn’t posted a PM either, received a notice

It’s been a while since we’ve seen *** name *** — their last post was in Aug '18.

I’m not sure where the August 2018 thing comes from if he has never posted… If it’s a PM, it would be another example of the issue above. If I’ m right and he has never even posted a PM, it would be really puzzling.

If the notice is too prevalent, it becomes a crying :wolf: and it won’t be effective.

Note that TL0 users still have a light grey username, so if you know what to look for you can still tell if someone is new and act appropriately.

4 Likes

We probably shouldn’t display these for anonymized users:

15 Likes

@maja can you ensure we never display that notice for anon users?

5 Likes

Hmm no the anonymization code path would need to remove it anonymization time. Unless this is super super easy I would ignore it for now. So tiny. Also this is still correct in terms of the historical record, that is indeed the first time that user posted, so I am not even convinced this would be a useful thing to do.

1 Like

I’m not able to reproduce this, seems to be fixed since this commit:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/476d0050ab80b2dfcaee6368c529f5094f14d79a

6 Likes

Isn’t there a similar feature where admins can leave banner notes above suspicious posts? Who can view the “admin warning” banners?

1 Like

From community perspective is veeeeery useful Thanks for that

3 Likes

Just a quick comment… Post notice for first-time user is great, but I wonder why is it shown in PM? If the purpose is to get wider audience to welcome user, it should only be displayed in public topics… Posts in PM should be ignored when evaluating first post for a user if possible (haven’t seen the code so maybe it is impractical for implementation).

2 Likes

See @awesomerobot’s OP.

Everyone sees the post notice except for the new or returning user. If you wish to hide the notices globally or just in certain topics, please start at the first post and read down. Additional posts explain how to do this.

4 Likes

I don’t think you have understood my point.

I love displaying post notices because they help engagement.

The problem is that if first user’s post is in PM, first-time post notice is displayed there (and only recipient sees it).

Much better would be to ignore PMs for this purpose and display first-time post notice in first public post. Then it gets to much wider audience and first time poster gets welcome from many members.

4 Likes

The point is that some people think that even in a pm it’s useful to know if someone hasn’t posted in a long time, but if you think those messages are inappropriate for PMs then you can add css to hide them.

EDIT:

Oh! Sorry. So if they send a PM that counts as their first post in a long time, so their next public post isn’t counted as a first post in a long time. Sorry. I missed that too.

I see. It seems a bit like an edge case, but if I’m guessing at how the code works then it should be a fairly small tweak to not look at PMs when doing that how-long-it’s-been check.

4 Likes

Understand now. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks… if the change is not much hassle, then it would be really great!

For me it is not the edge case because I try to approach every member with personal welcome PM :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, this won’t be happening, the current behavior is very intentional. Your other option is CSS modifications, which you can easily make yourself as @pfaffman noted.

2 Likes

Is it possible to send email to such users who post for the first time?? Like there’s this notice of a user posting for a first time. Is it possible that we can send him email for his first post?

3 Likes