One of the important things for a new user is:
- to get a reply when they first post a topic to feel like there is a community (or at least someone out there).
If a user’s topic doesn’t get a reply they are:
- less likely to return
- share the new found community with others
A “Staff” member might quickly glance at the topic whilst on the go (removing it from the unread list)
- meaning to come back to it later that day.
- there is something more important to reply to right now.
- “that’s going to take too long to reply to on my phone / right now”
- but the topic gets forgotten in the sea of activity from other topics in the latest list.
Something in me wants:
- TL3, TL4 and Staff to be reminded of posts by TL0, TL1 and TL2 users (perhaps all) that haven’t had any replies yet.
- For something to be displayed like:
- a “reminder”
- new tab like “New” or “Unread”
- or search link to a specific search
- When the TL3, TL4 and Staff user has:
- read all (or a high percentage of) posts from the past X days
- That “new view” or search result would:
- show topics that still - “might” - need a reply.
- show topics that that user perhaps has even read before.
Yes, not every topic needs a reply, there are definitely cases where one wouldn’t be required.
Maybe there is “special sauce” detection for this list / “reminder”, maybe there isn’t.
If there was “special sauce”, perhaps that could include:
- A percentage of the “Staff” have spent at least 4x “reading time” on the post
- 14 days have past since initial post
… then don’t display again.