Post URLs different from Post numbers

Not sure if this is a bug or just a mess up in counting post #s in the URL.

Reproduces here on Meta and on CodingHorror.

1. Start reading a long topic (> 100 posts).
  2. Use scroll wheel click and move cursor below to auto-scroll.
  3. URL changes only when scrolling is stopped.
  4. At some point, the post # in the URL is higher than the actual post # in the timeline.

The only time it’s a bother is if I copy the URL to come back later… then I’m jumped several posts past what I’ve read. I just backtrack a few posts to where I actually left off. No biggie.
Here’s some screen shots showing the last post in the URL as to how many posts are actually in the topic:

image image

There’s a difference of 8 more posts than the actual number.

image image

There’s a difference of 14 more posts than the actual number.

A similar effect is in the counting of posts/replies shown when clicking on my avatar on my own forum. It would show, say, 10 posts/replies, but when I go to it there is usually one or more actual posts/replies. So the count is also off a little there also. It’s no problem as not one user has even noticed the slight discrepancy.

3 Likes

I believe I’ve seen another topic talking about this not very long ago. I remember they arrived to the conclusion it was because of deleted messages (?). But it seems a little too many “deleted messages”.

3 Likes

Yes, I do remember something about that. I questioned something and was informed that a post had been deleted. I believe it was Simon who told me. Brain fog set in and I couldn’t remember what it was about - or even related to this. :roll_eyes:
Thanks for jarring my failing memory. :laughing: But you are right, 14 deleted posts does seem like a lot - unless someone went through and “cleaned” the topic.

2 Likes

It’s due to post deletions. Always.

1 Like

Do whisper posts also result in extra mismatches?

1 Like

Most likely, yes. Numbering is absolute, but life… isn’t :wink:

2 Likes

Okay, so it’s basically any sort of reply which might be hidden from the current reader (ie. plugins could make some as well, trust level, etc.). Makes stuff easier to explain.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.