Profile Menu button not accessible on iPad via VoiceOver

Hi there!

The profile menu button to open notifications, settings, etc., is not, or no longer, accessible to VoiceOver. To reproduce:

1. On an iPad, log into Discourse.
  2. Turn on VoiceOver in Settings/Accessibility/VoiceOver, or set it to be the Accessibility Shortcut so you can quickly turn it on and off by triple-clicking the power button or home button (if your device still has that).
  3. Swipe through the UI. Watch as the VoiceOver frame moves over the links, reduced buttons for all categories and all tags, etc., but skips over your profile picture.
  4. Aim to touch the profile picture or letter (if you happen to not have a profile picture set, like it is the case on my profile. Watch as the frame gets drawn around the New Topic button, but not the profile picture button. VoiceOver will also speak the New Topic button instead.

This used to work at some point in the past, but now is not working. I just discovered this when checking back here after a longer absence. This makes it impossible for blind users to access their own profile settings when on an iPad, and possibly iPhone as well.

Regards,
Marco

16 Likes

Hey Marco,

Thanks so much for taking the time to report the regression either way, we’ll look into it :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the detailed repro steps! Reproducing this issue was a breeze after reading through your steps. The issue is now fixed via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/3c9212fd88c6663061d9e5dd2ddc38e1e5d317bd

Thanks again for taking the time to write detailed repro steps, and bringing this issue in our notice. :+1:

13 Likes

Thank you so much for the swift response! I can confirm that this issue is fixed, and I can now access the menu button and options within with VoiceOver.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 28 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.