Push notification time window mins can be double that time

Since we now FINALLY have push notifications on iOS PWA :tada: I was looking into the delay that is applied before a push notification is being sent - because it seemed to take longer than expected.

The code checks if a user was online recently (less than push_notification_time_window_mins ago) and if they were then the notification is delayed for push_notification_time_window_mins

if user.seen_since?(SiteSetting.push_notification_time_window_mins.minutes.ago)
        Jobs.enqueue_in(
          SiteSetting.push_notification_time_window_mins.minutes,
        )
      else
        Jobs.enqueue(:send_push_notification, user_id: user.id, payload: payload)
      end

But this means that in practice this can take up to as twice as long as expected since the push_notification_time_window_mins is applied both in the online check as in the delay.

Example:

push_notification_time_window_mins is set to 10

13:00
I leave the site
13:10
Something happens that triggers a notification.
Code checks whether I was online less than 10 minutes ago.
I was, so the notification will be sent at 13:20.

12:59
I leave the site
13:10
Something happens that triggers a notification.
Code checks whether I was online less than 10 minutes ago.
I was not, so the notification will be sent immediately, at 13:10.

So one minute difference in my online time can change the notification delivery with almost push_notification_time_window_mins. Especially if the setting is changed into a higher value this can make a significant difference.

I would expect the delay to be push_notification_time_window_mins - (now - seen_since)

8 Likes

This should fix it

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.