Quoting a post with multiple quotes fails

(Geert Johan Riemer) #1

Lets say I have a post that quotes another post multiple times, quoting that post results in an error and markup code being displayed.

Lets place a second line of text here so I can create an example.

(Geert Johan Riemer) #2

Okay, so how does that even work?

Let’s see…

(Geert Johan Riemer) #3

This is the problem… The first quote-in-quote is completely omitted, and the second quote-in-quote is not rendered properly.

-edit: The quote in this post is unmodified what is added when quoting post 2 by doing Reply > Quote whole post. Try it!

(Geert Johan Riemer) #4

Ofcourse a quote-in-quote should look like this. The problem seems to occur when there are multiple quotes being quoted…

(Khoa Nguyen) #5

How did you make. Above is what I receive when I select your post

(Jens Maier) #6

The repro looks a bit different:

This works:

[quote]
same block
[quote]
inner
[/quote]
outer
[/quote]

This doesn’t:

[quote]
new block

[quote]
inner
[/quote]
outer
[/quote]

(Geert Johan Riemer) #7

@elberet That’s not the problem I’m describing, I think…

What happens is that when you quote a post with two quotes in it, it gets messed up.
The first quote is completely removed. And the second quote is displayed as text.

(Geert Johan Riemer) #8

So, I have this:

[quote="GeertJohan, post:2, topic:26910"]

[quote="GeertJohan, post:1, topic:26910, full:true"]
[/quote]
Let's see..
[/quote]

But I expect this:

[quote="GeertJohan, post:2, topic:26910"]
[quote="GeertJohan, post:1, topic:26910"]
Lets say I have a post that quotes another post multiple times, quoting that post results in an error and markup code being displayed.
[/quote]

[quote="GeertJohan, post:1, topic:26910"]
[/quote]
Let's see..
[/quote]

(Jens Maier) #9

Hm, these are probably two distinct bugs. One: the parser doesn’t pick up nested quotes under certain circumstances, and two: the quote button in the editor toolbar omits part of the quoted message.

Specifically, a quick test on try shows that it only drops a quote if it is the first thing in the quoted message — which is most likely actually a feature because quoting quotes, especially starting a quotation with a nested quote, is mostly unwanted noise…

(Geert Johan Riemer) #10

Hmm partially yes. But on the other hand: it should be up to the user to only quote what is required to create context. And deleting is much easier than adding, and less prone to errors… Its also a bit strange that the first quote isnt copied, but the second one is… They could both be important, but they could also both be noise…

(TechnoBear) #11

This looks like the same issue I reported a while back:

(Jeff Atwood) #12