Redirect additional domain(s) to your Discourse instance

Then you should, because that is the url an user tries reach using https, but there is no certficate and error will happend.

See Set up Let’s Encrypt with multiple domains / redirects which describes how to get multiple certificates. It worked when I last updated it.

I think this topic needs to be updated.

2 Likes

also, might is be easier for me to upload a static html css to an index.html for mysite.ca? I think I might have to go to digitalocean to figure this one out. I dont want people visiting mysite.ca to be alarmed and scared of forum.mysite.ca. some of my users are older members in my community and might be scared to engage.
I am very new to this, thank you for your time.

Running the redirect on the other site could be easier since it’s working already.

1 Like

+1 for updating the OP here to include at least a link to the additional step required in order to avoid SSL errors. Once I had this set up using @pfaffman’s link to @brahn’s excellent post it worked perfectly. Thanks to both.

In short:

1. DNS: Set up A records for all subdomains that you want to redirect, each pointing to the same IP, of the Discourse instance.
  2. NGINX rules set up as per this topic, to redirect the traffic.
  3. LetsEncrypt rules as per Set up Let’s Encrypt with multiple domains / redirects so that there are no SSL errors.

current installations redirect any access to the site to the hostname, so I’m not clear that the NGINX stuff here is required at all. You can, for example, enter the IP address of a standard install and it’ll redirect to the properhostname.

Am I missing something?

No, you’re right I think. So that would be another reason that this guide needs either to be updated or deprecated (with a link to the more up-to-date guide containing the SSL/LetsEncrypt details)

1 Like

I updated the OP.

1 Like