Restrict Topic Replies to Topic Owner only

Hi Guys

I have a question. I’m a complete newb, so apologies if this is obvious, but I’ve been searching for a couple of days and had to resort to the old-fashioned method of asking the question.

Without any super-complex hacks, is it possible to allow Discourse user groups to be able to create a topic, but not allow anyone else to reply? The idea - for context, is to allow people to post, with the only follow-up method being a private message to the topic poster.

It’s not a problem for the original creator to be able to reply/update/edit the original topic, and everyone should be able to view the topic, but replies should be private…

Any advice gratefully appreciated…

mbf199t

No, that’s not what topics are for.

Close the topics and include at link at the bottom to automate PM’ing the OP.

Example: https://meta.discourse.org/new-message?username=codinghorror

Granted, it’s an off-spec use case for discourse. The problem is, it’s probably the best tool for the job, if only I can make it work.

In terms of closing the topic, I can set them to close almost instantly by using 0.0001 in the “automatically close topics” setting, which I think still allows the OP to edit the topic regardless…I just wondered if there was a neater way to do it. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s about as neat as you’re going to get. No permission modes exist for individual replies in a topic to be hidden. Permissions are set at the category level and are assigned to groups, not individual users.

1 Like

Thank you very much for clarifying. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.