RFE: dark/light mode options for custom emoji

So, I’m using and love Discourse Reactions - Beyond Likes. I have some custom emoji, like :classic_smiley:

(My gen-z teenagers tell me that :slightly_smiling_face: does not mean what I, gen-x, think it does. But they will never take my emoticons.)

The problem is: that looks great in light mode, but fails in dark mode. I’d like it to automatically be replaced with a different color (like, white, probably).

It would be lovely if the custom emoji interface would allow upload of images dark and light color schemes separately, and apply as appropriate based on the color palette selected for the theme.

Actually, this could extended to color palettes generally — if someone wants to make a Hot Dog Stand, it’d be cool for the custom emoji to be able to switch accordingly. (But dark/light is my real concern.)

3 Likes

And, although most emoji sets are (I realize now) designed to work pretty well regardless of color scheme, there are some things like :heavy_check_mark: :dark_sunglasses: :chess_pawn: :ant: which don’t work well even from the default emoji set.

Example image if you’re viewing this post in light mode:

3 Likes

Could you modify that image so it uses a color instead of black? Even a 50-60% gray image would likely look fine.

That’s your easiest option, we don’t have anything in core to support toggling emojis for dark mode because the vast majority work fine as is.

5 Likes

smiletest

Yeah, it’s not the worst, but I don’t really love it. It ends up looking too much like the gray control elements, and is particularly weird mixed with other reactions if you have “desaturated reaction panel” enabled.

For the Fedora site for this particular one, I ended up going with

in Fedora’s new blue color, which is fine. It it would just be lovely to be able to match them to the theme choice.

1 Like

That would be awesome to have some alternative emojis for light and dark themes.
Discord suffers the same issue.
But I understand that’s not a problem big enough to be worked on, especially if we can replace (can we, by the way?) replace some of the default emojis…

1 Like

This is interesting, but why would you not need this for default emojis as well? How can they get away with a single picture for dark/light and custom emojis not?

I get the desire here but I am sadly stripping the PR welcome from this, I am not sure I support this unless we look at this issue holistically. Do we have current “stock” emojis that fail us in a dark theme?

3 Likes

Yes. :black_heart: :black_cat: :black_circle: :black_flag: :eight_pointed_black_star: :black_nib: :black_small_square: :ant: :chess_pawn: :dark_sunglasses: :gorilla:

5 Likes

Interesting problem @Designers

3 Likes

It’s also a problem in the description of

3 Likes

Interesting indeed. I don’t see any other apps handling these any differently though. Here is a screenshot from Twitter (we use their emoji set as the default):

I also tested iOS, their set has more colors in some of these dark emojis (like for gorilla, for example), but I don’t see any special handling there either.

3 Likes

Yeah there are no special icons for dark mode in emoji sets… and I haven’t seen any indication that any of the popular emoji sets are working on it… so I guess :man_shrugging: don’t use those emoji

Google recently released a monochrome emoji set… so that’s one way to avoid the issue, but we’d have to add support for it somehow (maybe we can use SVGs?)

3 Likes

Openmoji is working on it

3 Likes

I believe that if you define a custom emoji with the same name as a standard one, that overrides [1]. So going with my original RFE, if the custom emoji feature would allow two options with automatic switching, people who really care could replace :black_heart: and so on.

1. at least in the the emoji picker or with :whatever:, not unicode entered directly ↩︎

1 Like