Sam's Simple Theme

nope, not really, you need to be running latest for this to work, I just cut-and-paste this from our customization section.

I love the direction this is headed. Very clean. At the risk of appearing more “social” - Have you considered adding optional topic excerpts and/or image thumbnails? A nice responsive design that takes advantage of screen width …

• tuck reply count under the title
  • push the avatars all the way right to eliminate the ragged right hand border
  • right justify the last poster and time immediately to the left of the avatar to open space in the middle
  • put the topic excerpt in the middle space only when the screen is “wide enough”
  • truncate the title as needed

1 Like

[quote=“mcwumbly, post:58, topic:23552”]
@sam, for your consideration:

[/quote]I love that colored bar. I hope it gets adopted.

2 Likes

Another minimal topic list design i’m impressed with:

A lot of custom CSS and some js.

The author: Pieter Levels

11 Likes

I really like what’s going on here!

1 Like

I back this up as well!

The color bars from @mcwumbly work well, but not if there are lots of subcategories, since color for subcategory alone (or parent category alone) is of little semantic meaning, increasingly so as the number of subcategories increase. If there were two side-by-side color bars for the parent-child combo, then the issue would be resolved & semantic meaning preserved. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Focusing on the category display:

For forums that have a flat category structure, and distinct category colors, this might be fine. I have a few reservations about this, however:

1. It’s slightly more difficult for new users to learn the structure of the forum. While not a huge concern, it is something to consider.
  2. On forums with category trees (sub-categories), the colored bar won’t be able to display the color structure. For some, this is preferred information. For others, it’s just noise anyway.
  3. How does this work with a pinned topic? Since pinned topics display a chunk of the OP beneath the title, how will this work in that scenario?

Otherwise, taking into account other changes that are in the pipeline, I think it’s pretty good. The one thing that might be worth considering is including the OP’s avatar next to their user name, but that might make that area too busy. As I said, worth considering.

3 Likes

I really like what they’ve done here.

One of the small touches here that I think really helps make it feel cleaner is the lack of the header. It makes it feel much less like a stodgy old table.

The category styling is bold but not distracting.

And the two avatars to show the original and last poster keeps some good info. Having it on the left makes the page feel more balanced, without something too ‘heavy’ drawing the eyes away past the list of topic titles. Leaving enough margin to read through the list of topics.

The more I look at it, the more I like it.

Also, no tiger stripes. That’s one thing all these minimal designs have in common.

Now that stars are gone, what’s the one thing you would remove?

I think there’s a strong case for removing tiger stripes from the default design.

1 Like

I have made my own changes to the new look for my site, have more I wish to do but here is what it looks like:

Figured I could share my variation for those that are curious.

Changes

• Remove colspan attribute from main topic link td since it isn’t necessary
  • Clean up CSS to be more concise and use more SCSS capabilities
  • Hide topic list header
  • Make show more update bar smaller
  • Update to latest changes from @sam (though he is missing his latest changes here)
  • Styles no longer mess with category table, still need to clean that up to be simpler as well

CSS

Note: You should update $primary and $tertiary to match what you have in your colors config under the same names

$primary: #48484a;
$tertiary: #CF3337;

.show-more {
    top: -29px;

.alert {
        padding: 5px 35px 5px 14px;
    }
}

.topic-list:not(.categories) {
  margin: 26px 0 10px;

thead {
    display: none;
  }

> tbody > tr:nth-child(odd) {
    background-color: white;
  }

> tbody td {
    border-bottom: 1px solid #eee;
  }

a.title:not(.badge-notification) {
    color: $primary;
    font-weight: normal;
    font-size: 16px;

&:visited {
        color: scale-color($primary, $lightness: 30%);
    }

&:hover {
        text-decoration: underline;
    }
  }

.creator, .editor {
    font-size: 13px;
    display: block;
    margin-top: 3px;

a {
        color: $primary;
    }
  }

.main-link {
    width: auto;
  }

td, .creator a, .editor a, .badge-wrapper a.badge-category {
    color: scale-color($primary, $lightness: 50%);
  }

td {
    padding-bottom: 5px;

&:first-of-type {
        padding-left: 10px;
        padding-top: 5px;
    }
  }

.fa-tag {
    opacity: 0.7;
    font-size: 10px;
    margin-right: -2px;
  }

.num.replies {
    font-size: 17px;
    color: #666;
    min-width: 75px;
  }

.last-post {
    min-width: 130px;

.relative-date {
      color: #666;
    }
  }
}

.last-post {
    .poster-avatar {
        margin-right: 10px;
    }
    .poster-avatar, .poster-info {
        float: left;
    }
}

.creator .badge-wrapper {
    .badge-category-parent {
        margin: 0;
        padding: 0px 1px;
    }

.badge-category {
        padding: 0 0 0 3px;
        margin-right: 5px;
        font-size: 13px;
        font-weight: normal;
    }
}

Header

<script type='text/x-handlebars' data-template-name='list/topic_list_item.raw'>

<td class='main-link clearfix'>
    {{raw "topic-status" topic=topic}}
    {{topic-link topic}}

{{#if controller.showTopicPostBadges}}
      {{raw "topic-post-badges" unread=topic.unread newPosts=topic.displayNewPosts unseen=topic.unseen url=topic.lastUnreadUrl}}
    {{/if}}

{{raw "list/topic-excerpt" topic=model}}

<div class='creator'>
        {{#if showCategory}}
            {{category-link topic.category showParent="true" onlyStripe="true"}}
        {{/if}}

{{~#if topic.creator ~}}
            <a href="/users/{{topic.creator.username}}" data-auto-route="true" data-user-card="{{topic.creator.username}}">{{topic.creator.username}}</a>
            &nbsp;
            {{format-date topic.createdAt format="medium-with-ago"}}
        {{~/if ~}}

{{raw "list/action-list" topic=topic postNumbers=topic.bookmarked_post_numbers className="bookmarks" icon="bookmark"}}
        {{raw "list/action-list" topic=topic postNumbers=topic.liked_post_numbers className="likes" icon="heart"}}
    </div>
  </td>

{{#if controller.showLikes}}
    <td class="num likes">
      {{number topic.like_count}} <i class='fa fa-heart'></i>
    </td>
  {{/if}}

{{#if controller.showOpLikes}}
    <td class="num likes">
      {{number topic.op_like_count}} <i class='fa fa-heart'></i>
    </td>
  {{/if}}

<td class="num replies">
    {{topic.replyCount}}
  </td>

<td class="last-post">
    <div class='poster-avatar'>
      <a href="{{topic.lastPostUr}}" data-user-card="{{topic.last_poster_username}}">{{avatar topic.lastPoster usernamePath="username" imageSize="medium"}}</a>
    </div>

<div class='poster-info'>
      <a href="{{topic.lastPostUrl}}">
        {{format-date topic.bumpedAt format="medium-with-ago"}}
      </a>
      <span class='editor'><a href="/users/{{topic.last_poster_username}}" data-auto-route="true" data-user-card="{{topic.last_poster_username}}">{{topic.last_poster_username}}</a></span>
    </div>
  </td>
</script>

<script type='text/x-handlebars' data-template-name='topic-list-header.raw'>
  {{raw "topic-list-header-column" order='posts' name='topic.title'}}

{{#if showLikes}}
    {{raw "topic-list-header-column" sortable='true' order='likes' number='true' forceName='Likes'}}
  {{/if}}

{{#if showOpLikes}}
    {{raw "topic-list-header-column" sortable='true' order='op_likes' number='true' forceName='Likes'}}
  {{/if}}

{{raw "topic-list-header-column" sortable='true' number='true' order='views' forceName='Replies'}}
  {{raw "topic-list-header-column" sortable='true' order='activity' forceName='Last Post'}}
</script>

<script>
  Discourse.TopicListItemView.reopen({
    showCategory: function(){
      return !this.get('controller.hideCategory') &&
        this.get('topic.creator') &&
        this.get('topic.category.name') !== 'uncategorized';
    }.property()
  });

Discourse.Topic.reopen({
    creator: function(){
      var poster = this.get('posters.firstObject');
      if(poster){
        return poster.user;
      }
    }.property(),
    lastPoster: function() {
      var poster = this.get('posters.lastObject');
      if(poster){
        if (this.last_poster_username === poster.user.username){
          return poster.user;
        } else {
          return this.get('creator');
        }
      }
    }.property('posters'),
    replyCount: function(){
      return this.get('posts_count') - 1;
    }.property(),
    hasReplies: function(){
      return this.get('posts_count') > 1;
    }.property()

});
</script>
17 Likes

Enjoyed reading through this topic and liking the minimal designs by @sam and @chapel

Do visitors really care about the categories, author, date? It seems the only time it’s relevant is when someone is reading and have interest in the topic otherwise can’t see why it can’t look like the current ‘suggested topics’ layout with just the topic title.

1 Like

This is really good. Following on from @mcwumbly’s comment (also very insightful, I realized while reading it that putting avatars on the left in the topic list gives a “talk bubble” effect to the title that I had not considered… also symmetric with posts too) I think you could suppress the header as well!

Hopefully we can ship one or more of these topic list layouts as choices out of the box at some later date… part of the mythical setup wizard.

9 Likes

A bit more tweaking

4 Likes

The main difference at this point is the topic title font size and the td height which I have compressed more. Mainly because I wanted to optimized information density due to one of my staffs complaint about seeing less topics per “page”.

@sam any progress on the category page? Thinking of tackling it tonight when I get home.

1 Like

Sure, feel free to tackle it! not sure what to do here, the funny thing about the category page is that I never use it so its kind of low priority for me.

I actually don’t like it (as far as using it). I prefer latest tbh.

My community which is used to older forum software asked for the category view be the homepage, and ultimately it was such a small change. So I see the category view more than I would if I had it setup exactly how I would personally like it.

Looks like there is potentially a bug in the server code in regards to who is the original poster when the original post is edited.

Interestingly enough, the edit history only shows @codinghorror editing the post once, and it was the first edit. I checked, and it isn’t an issue with ordering, as the first user in the array returned is @codinghorror and he is listed as the original poster.

This is not a bug, its by-somewhat-hard-to-explain-design

@codinghorror split off the topic from another topic so he is considered the “creator” of the topic, despite post #1 being mine.

I do agree its confusing and kind of wish we had a way to override this.

edit

Actually there is a workaround, admin wrench, select first post, change ownership to sam.

3 Likes

I see, well in a way that makes sense.

I just prefer it for consistency. It’s good to have something static. My users and I are all new to Discourse and loving it, but somehow it feels good to have a routine. A safe place to get started.

Sometimes I feel that there was something I was supposed to make a topic of, and then when I see the categories they remind me. I like the little things in life.

damn straight.

Maybe double the size of those category bars? Lighter colors seem to disappear to the background.

Actually that makes perfect sense, but I if something can be made configurable, it should.

In an ideal situation the first person to derail will split the topic BEFORE the second person, and even in the case of the second person to derail splitting the topic it’s still not a lost cause, and if it’s absolutely necessary to change ownership of a topic, it’s not biggie when having enough moderators around.

edit: man I love quoting in discourse.