Set up Slack notifications using the discourse-chat-integration plugin

Thanks for the guide!

Like an earlier poster, I’m hitting these errors:

/discourse failed with the error "dispatch_failed"

What might I be missing? I double checked the information that I’ve pasted screenshots of below.

Are there debug logs available for this? I checked Error Logs in Admin, and also sudo ./launcher logs app.

Please let me know what additional info I can provide to help debug this. Thank you!

Oauth scopes:

Slash command params

Verification & Oauth tokens

Interactivity settings

@stanislaw after you first asked and David responded, I implemented threaded replies, with David’s advice.

That topic shows how to configure it.

2 Likes

@Brad_Wood your suggestions and question sound interesting, so I don’t want them to get lost.

Would you mind moving the first 2 as a new topic in #feature and tag it #chat-integration, then moving your question to #support a d tag it #chat-integration too?

This would make it easier to follow/track and not get lost here.

I would have moved the post to a new topic for you, but seeing as you have feature requests and a question in the single post, I’d have to edit and create something new to move it, and I don’t want to do that.

2 Likes

@osioke I have created two new topics as you requested, however it appears I don’t have permissions to add tags.

If you could help me tag these posts or let me know how to tag them, I would appreciate the assistance.

1 Like

Hi, I was running into this same issue (after following the steps exactly).

The thing that I was missing was enabling the top level chat integration plugin:

Enabling this got the integration to work as expected.

3 Likes

@ililic Thank you! That was it. :man_facepalming:

(Would be good to explicitly add this to the top-level instructions! @david)

Good idea :+1: I added it to the first step in the OP here:

3 Likes

What is the best way to set the bot to send Slack notification for ALL posts/replies in the forum?

Currently it seems that first you have to add all different topics separately and it still doesn’t work if someone posts in the subcategory of those topics.

A really odd thing happens when chat-integration is paired with DiscoTOC - automatic table of contents (cc @Johani)

The headings are now preceded by a link that does NOT go to the heading.

See screenshots below.
The original post

The preview in Slack

Result of clicking on the first link is just the homepage of the forum

1 Like

I am able to receive notifications on my Slack channel every time someone posts a new message on Discourse (if a certain tag is added at the same time).
Question: is it possible to trigger Slack notifications only WHEN a new tag is added to an existing Discourse Topic (let’s assume the Topic was created before)?

1 Like

Hi - we have set up the integration and are getting the slack notifications for topics in our support category - but is it also possible to have a once daily summary of posts across the whole forum (ie. to let us know activity, but not urgent issues)?

It might be worth saying that if you skip the slash command section and you come back later to add it, it prompts you to install the app all over again which makes the chat plugin disabled for some reason and you get the dispatch error.

So if you go back to add the slash commands, make sure you add the tokens and basic information again in the admin panel

I have a permission question.
I would like to be able to only run /discourse post myself and myself only as the owner of the slack workspace. In other words, I don’t want other users to even see the Discourse Integration App, or if they see, I don’t want them to be able to run /discourse post. Is it possible?

Hello @david and other community members!

As far as I can tell, it seems like I need to setup every subcategory separately in Discourse that I want to post to Slack.

In other words, I can’t just specify the overarching category to be sent to Slack and then expect all of that category’s subcategories to get sent to Slack as well.

It seems like I need to setup each subcategory separately. Is this correct?

Ideally, I’d love to just pick a category to send to Slack, and have all of the subcategories automatically be a part of that.

Thanks,
Scott

Facing the same issue. How do I get slack notifications when a tag is added to an existing post ?

I believe there was a filter added for ‘tag added to topic’, which I think should do what you want:

1 Like

This is not working as well. Already tried this.

1 Like

that filter only works if user is creating a new post with that tag. If the tag is being added to existing topic then it doesn’t fire up the notification.

1 Like

Hmmm. From the commit name, it sounds like it’s supposed to fire when tags are changed. :thinking:

Let me see what I can find out. :+1: