Should "log out" be prominent in the UI?

Because I’m not everyone else who will be confused figuring out how to logout. I’m not the only one who logs out. And keyboard users are not the only ones who log out.

I feel like it should be on you to justify why it is being removed from a typical spot that is found everywhere out there including desktop applications, mobile apps, and web apps. I’m simply going with the majority here.

No one is going to search for the Keyboard Shortcuts to figure out how to logout. No one should be required to go to Page X to logout.

1 Like

So you think it should be more prominent in the UI? :laughing:

I think having as a big red button on the user page should suffice. If you’d like to write a plugin to change the behavior, go for it.

I disagree with your word choice, I simply value where it was but it could be dulled down to make it less obtrusive/prominent.

We will agree to disagree, then.

So it seems, I am curious what changed between

and now though… as at one point, you seemed to be okay with the idea, now… not so much. :confused:

(just curious what argument/conversation changed your view…)

I think “prominent” is the wrong descriptor here. i.e. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prominent

adjective
standing out so as to be seen easily; conspicuous; particularly noticeable:
Her eyes are her most prominent feature.
standing out beyond the adjacent surface or line; projecting.
leading, important, or well-known:
a prominent citizen.

It does not need to “stand out”, but it should be easily available.

Maybe having an automatic log out after an arbitrary amount of inactivity has elapsed would be a suitable compromise?

I just think if it is that buried, it is there to placate a vocal minority of power users who have unusual needs and are better served with a keyboard shortcut anyway. Average users won’t be able to find it there any better than they could on the rather obvious, bright red, place where it already exists on user profiles…

It is easily available, right now, on your user page, in bright red. So the question is whether it should be “more prominent” than that :laughing:

Discussion is a circular waste of time, keyboard shortcut will be added for those that need to log out hourly.