Spurious "Draft is being edited in other window" errors

Many users on our forums (including staff and myself) have reported receiving this error message for no clear reason in the last several days. This error message appears occasionally when composing posts, even though no other windows are open. One of the buttons needs to be pressed to continue, and can result in losing typed post content. I tried deleting all drafts and using safe mode, but it still occurred. It’s happened in Chrome, Firefox, and Opera that I’m aware of. We have 2.8.0.beta10 [5ff0b86b57] installed. I noticed fix #15390 involves drafts, is it possible there’s some connection?

3 Likes

Please upgrade to the latest version by visiting /admin/upgrade or rebuilding your Docker container. This bug has been fixed a few days ago.

3 Likes

Understood, thanks for that!

2 Likes

@gerhard - this is still occurring for many of our users. The popup seems to come up for no reason, with the users only having one active session open.

We’re running 2.9.0.beta3.

Anything we can do to fix this?

Thank you!

Ditto. This error is occurring for many of my users as well. I am running 2.9.0.beta5.

I’m currently seeing this on my site (3.2.0.beta2-dev – 76e5a939d4) – as well as on other Discourse forums I participate in. At first I assumed I had another forgotten tab open somewhere, but it turns out to be happening when I definitely have only one active session/tab.

2 Likes

Do you have an exact repro?

1 Like

I also see this a few times a day but don’t have a specific repro.

Next time it happens I’ll see if I can reconstruct what I was doing.

2 Likes

It happened to me just now and I remembered and attempted to reproduce what I was doing… both times it happened due to me hitting Edit on the wrong post, closing the composer, and then editing the right one.

Here’s my attempt to reproduce it:

I found some steps to reproduce the error (Not every time, but almost)

1. Click the pencil to edit a post (can be a wiki post but also a normal post you can edit)
  2. Don’t edit the post but wait (and maybe scroll, click and mark.
    I’m not totally sure what exactly is needed)
  3. Minimize the composer, so it disappears, because nothing was changed.
  4. Click the pencil again to edit the post

draft edited3
draft edited5

4 Likes

Today I had the impression that a slow internet connection triggers this bug.

1 Like